Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it okay to put a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank all by itself, with 2 fake plants. The tank has a filter, but no heater. Does the tank need to be cycled?

I would be buying the fish for my gs, but the tank would remain at my house to be cared for by me (and by my gs only on the weekends). He's 5, so he needs help in understanding fish care. He watches me clean out my tanks so I assume he gets the gist of what needs to be done.

thanks.

Is it okay to put a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank all by itself, with 2 fake plants. The tank has a filter, but no heater. Does the tank need to be cycled?

I would be buying the fish for my gs, but the tank would remain at my house to be cared for by me (and by my gs only on the weekends). He's 5, so he needs help in understanding fish care. He watches me clean out my tanks so I assume he gets the gist of what needs to be done.

thanks.

Yes your tank will need to be cycled. I've seen betta fish in that size and smaller. Would I do it? No. If you could a nice 10 gallon would be an awesome home for such a pretty fish.

Add some plants (fake) of you prefer, maybe a piece of driftwood and some rocks.

Try a google image search of betta setups. You'll see some really beautiful tanks.

Oh and you'll need a heater.

The cost difference between setting up a 2.5 and 10 gallon is not much. Definitely go with the bigger tank. The fish will be happier, you will be happier because you won't have to change the water as often in a bigger tank.

To be honest I have out a beta in a ten gallon tank and it really didn't swing around that much. The fact is that thy live in rice pounds on Thailand. So they really don't use all that space. They just simply dons swing in that much room. And in the two and a half you can have a filter. Have a 2.5 gallon tank an is the best ever.

They live in rice paddies, which are hundreds of acres in size. While it is possible to keep in a 2.5, the betta will be much happier in a 10. Also, the water parameters would be easier to keep in check in the bigger tank, making you happier.

Betta fish are happier in bigger settings, but they can be kept in small spaces.

They are clean fish and don't require a lot of food, so they're good fish to have. When I lived with my ex, we had a really nice looking one in a bowl for 6 months. I was gonna put him in my 10 gallon, but I figured I'd leave it in the bowl cause I didn't want aggression since it had been isolated for so long.

I still regret not taking him with me when I moved. I only took my tank.

You can do a Betta in a 2.5g but IMO a filter on that small of a tank is more trouble than its worth also no matter what size tank you get the Betta needs the water to be 76-80F at all times. I have 5 males in individual tanks; 3 in 10g tanks, 1 in a 5.5 & 1 in a 2.5g. The one in the 2.5 is not very active & has some minor issues which is why I chose a smaller tank for him, this is my only unfiltered tank but it is heated the same as the others & at least twice weekly water changes are required on it. The others use every bit of their tank space, they are in constant motion. Go bigger if at all possible, easier to maintain good water parameters & less often cleaning. I don't like going smaller than a 5g but this guy is special needs. :)

I have 2 bettas. One is in a 10 gallon planted by himself, the other, my half moon, is in a 5 gallon planted and they're happy as can be. I would not put one in a tank smaller than 5 gallons. You miss out on so much of the Betta personality in a tank that small. Happy fish are so fun to watch. :) you should post a picture when it's all set up!

I honestly don't have anywhere to put a 10 gallon tank. I currently have 2 running tanks, 29 gallon and 47 bow front. I have the 2.5 up and running right now. So, if I don't put a betta in the tank, I'll put something in there so my gs has a fish. My feeling about bettas is that they live in cups at the fish store, so my feeling is they'd be more then happy having some extra room. Anyways, I'm going to do some research and see what I can put in that small tank, maybe some snails, whatever. It will be exciting for my gs to have his own tank and to take care of something in it. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the info.

I honestly don't have anywhere to put a 10 gallon tank. I currently have 2 running tanks, 29 gallon and 47 bow front. I have the 2.5 up and running right now. So, if I don't put a betta in the tank, I'll put something in there so my gs has a fish. My feeling about bettas is that they live in cups at the fish store, so my feeling is they'd be more then happy having some extra room. Anyways, I'm going to do some research and see what I can put in that small tank, maybe some snails, whatever. It will be exciting for my gs to have his own tank and to take care of something in it. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the info.

I reluctantly put my Betta in 3 gallons. It was my only option and he seems happy.

img_2291365_0_2d744274d1e55f65a70c3af0fa8fa950.jpg

I have heard no smaller than 2.5 gallons for bettas. A heater would be best since they are tropical fish they like warmer water. I think Petco is still having their dollar per gallon sale (in California) I saw it going on last week. I am not sure if all states do it at the same time or not.

I have my betta in a 5.5 gallon and he loves it! I adopted him and his previous owners had him in a 2.5 gallon split with a female betta and it was just a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom