Bettababe's 29 Gallon Biocube Build/Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
yea my mom wont take me 15 minutes away to a fish store!!

Same with me! luckily when I was doing my Diy sump, i didn't have to wait for them because of how close a hardware store is. I really don't think they support me in this hobby lol. I rarely go to lfs so i have to keep my tanks nice until the next time I go.

Okay. I just heard that the Cardinalfish has to be kept in a group? What?! I hadn't read anything about that in any of my research, and you guys okayed the one orange lined Cardinalfish.

allaboutfish said:
cardinal tetras?

I'm talking about a sw fish... My orange lined Cardinalfish that you guys okayed? Someone, on wolfs ten gallon thread, said something about Cardinalfish needing to be in large groups.

Dylan5359 said:
Idream even okayed the one cardinal, it would do fine.

That's what I was thinking. Then Thominil said the thing about the cardinals?! I'm confused now. So it's okay to just keep my same stocking...?

Thom is a trusted source of advice but that just doesn't make sense. Maybe he meant they thrive in groups but can live by themselves? Maybe he's just off? :/

needmorecowbell said:
I trust his opinion heavily and if he says not to I won't. But I do know it can be done, but maybe not done right..

That's what I was thinking. I'm in no position to question his opinion. It's weird though everywhere I've read about them they all say they could live by themselves, but then again maybe not properly.

Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to the pajama cardinals which seem to be the most common. Pajamas are the only ones that I know of that need to be kept in groups for health reasons, and most people that have them don't realize this. Sorry again if I caused any confusion, porbably should have been more descriptive.

thominil said:
Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to the pajama cardinals which seem to be the most common. Pajamas are the only ones that I know of that need to be kept in groups for health reasons, and most people that have them don't realize this. Sorry again if I caused any confusion, porbably should have been more descriptive.

It's alright. I was kinda freaking out because my stock list was complete and I had it set aside as one less thing I had to worry about. But I could just substitute the goby that was outed for any fish that end up not working for any reason.

I learned from this, so it's good.

I'm near Ames Iowa. I live IN Iowa.

Depending on how close to Ames you are, I'm sure ISU has an Aquarium Club. You might also find some people in the Animal Ecology department who are aquarium enthusiasts.

I don't know if The Ark petstore is still open in Ames. I know they used to carry saltwater fish and supplies, but I was always a bit leary of that place.

When I lived in Des Moines Adams was always good.

ChrisSoko said:
Depending on how close to Ames you are, I'm sure ISU has an Aquarium Club. You might also find some people in the Animal Ecology department who are aquarium enthusiasts.

I don't know if The Ark petstore is still open in Ames. I know they used to carry saltwater fish and supplies, but I was always a bit leary of that place.

When I lived in Des Moines Adams was always good.

The ark is open. Never buying fish from them. Not even a plant.

They're tanks are disgusting and Ich ridden.

I live ten minutes away from Ames.

Awesome. I can't wait to check the place out!

I was saying in larger tanks they can be kept in groups, but they can be kept solely as well. So you're okay.

As far as LFS seeing a larger fish in a small tank doesn't mean they're bad. They're there to sell, so they don't plan on keeping those fish in those small tanks for any length of time. If you see them in a display tank with nothing in it for sale and it's a 3ft tank with a tang, I might think otherwise.

My lfs occasionaly has an octopus in a small plastic container, and those require a 180G minimum depending the the species. It's not it's permanent home, just one for it to be in and not escape while it waits to get sold, and they always do

iDream said:
I was saying in larger tanks they can be kept in groups, but they can be kept solely as well. So you're okay.

As far as LFS seeing a larger fish in a small tank doesn't mean they're bad. They're there to sell, so they don't plan on keeping those fish in those small tanks for any length of time. If you see them in a display tank with nothing in it for sale and it's a 3ft tank with a tang, I might think otherwise.

My lfs occasionaly has an octopus in a small plastic container, and those require a 180G minimum depending the the species. It's not it's permanent home, just one for it to be in and not escape while it waits to get sold, and they always do

Yeah. Like this pet store near me has a display tank with an Oscar, some huge fish, like a foot long that I don't know what it is, a pleco that's like a foot long, a bunch of silver dollars. The tank has to be a seventy five at most. It disgusts me.

kms907 said:
So what is your current fish/coral list now?? I looked back a few pages but couldn't find it, i possibly missed it.

Okay:

Fish:
1 Orange Lined Cardinalfish
1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
1 regular Ocellaris
1 black Ocellaris

Corals:
Button Polyp
Lavender Mushroom
Green Florescent Mushroom
Thick finger Leather Coral
Candycane Coral