Bettas a problem here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fathomed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yo,

I stocked my 20g with 5 tetras, 3 cherry barbs, and 3 cories, living quite peacefully together.

I recently got gifted a 2.5g hexagonal tank and I figure I throw in a Betta - there's no room for a heater or a filter.

My Betta has been living in there for 2 days and 2 nights. Then I decide to check the temperature and I find the water is 18 degrees. That's waay too cold. I put him with my community tank (the peaceful 20g) and see my Betta sometimes puffing his gills and chasing others. Mostly the barbs.

All my fish easily out-swim my Betta, slow guy =P but I wonder if it is stressful for him always trying to intimidate his tankmates.
What should I do? I don't have room for a heater on my 2.5g, my 20g has a community problem, and my 78g has a turtle that will definitely eat my Betta, he's so slow.

Thanks~

I wouldn't be moving your fish around, especially between two very different tank temperatures... that alone is very stressful.

Second, barbs are typically semi-aggresive fish, so they may be nipping at the fins of your betta, but other than that, I have always heard that a single betta in a community tank is ok.

They make mini heaters for tanks that small... drsfostersmith.com has one that's flat, sort of a mini heating pad sort of thing but it goes in the tank.

I agree with jsoong on the flaring/stress issue. Tetras will sometimes nip at bettas as well.

Ah, thanks. After a day they seem to stop fighting. My Betta must have gotten tired and stopped chasing the others around.
I think I'll leave the Betta in there until the weekend, then i'll get myself a mini heater.

Back
Top Bottom