Bettas and Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had three guppies in my five gallon tank, but two of them passed away, and now I am tasked with getting new tankmates for my remaining guppy. He is a small, platinum guppy fish, who is a little shy around people and hides for most of the day. Originally, my plan was just to get two new guppies and introduce them to the tank, but I'm interested in possibly getting a female betta fish to live with a few guppies. Cockatiel, my current guppy, does not have the lengthy fins, and has a rather short round tail, and if I were to get a female betta, I would choose other guppies with similar tails since I have read that bettas don't like the longer tail fins on other fish. I have plenty of space to hide in my tank. I would like to get a small, female, half moon betta to live with my guppies, and I'm wondering if that would be feasible, or if I should stick to guppies. I have had bettas in the past and I really loved them, but I'm seeing mixed results when I search for betta/guppy compatability.

Hi
I currently have a 160l with 7 fancytail guppies numerous tetras corys and a Betta. Not had any problems with aggression towards the guppies even with thier flowing tails. Its the cardinal tetras that have been picking on Rick (betta) they nip his tail and it really annoys me as he seems a chilled guy.
He does flare up with the glow tetras but they too quick for him.

So been 7 months and no fatalities from Rick.

Good luck

I have a female betta in my 29 and have not observed any interactions with the guppies. I've heard that males are a mix match. Some are more aggressive. I also read that some species or types of betta are more aggressive than others (not sure if it is an actual different species or that if there are different lines that have been bred to be more aggressive).
-
My understanding from reading various forums is that lots of people have no issues but some do....

Back
Top Bottom