Bettas and Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprank1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 Mollies, 3 Cories and one male Betta in a 29 Gallon tank. I know from everything I've read here that Mollies like to have salt in their water. My question is - can I add aquarium salt to my tank without it bothering the Betta and the Cories? I would probably just add the one tablespoon for every 5 gallons that seems to be the proportion suggested most often.

Thanks.

Corys do not like salt. Your mollies will be all right without it. They actually need brackish water, not just salt added to the tank. They will be fine without it however, most are raised and bred in freshwater.

yeah, cories are scaleless fish and salt is the opposite of what you want to do, from experience i know bettas handle it fine and mollies usually need it. but i would not with the corydoras in the tank.

HTH

We have Corys in all our community tanks and we aquarium salt our freshwater tanks too. 1 tsp of salt per 5 gallons. No one has any problems and yep the Betta tanks are salted too 1 tsp per 5 gallons. Hope this helps. Hope this helps.

FW + Salt = not nessisary..
Adding anything that isnt nessiary can add another level of complexity that only makes things more complicated then whats needed IMHO.

And yes its a bad idea to add salt to a tank that has scaleless fish.. even if it works it doesnt mean it's not harming the fish in the long run.. HTH

I agree with the others. Not a good idea to add salt to your current setup. Bettas would fare fine with the salt, the cories will not.

Mollies can handle a WIDE range of salinity, from full saltwater, to full freshwater. Best of luck.

I used to have mollies that would breed like crazy in pure freshwater. As stated before, they have been tank bred in freshwater conditions for so long that they don't require brackish environments. Plus, the cories do not like salt, it's not a good idea to put it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom