Bettas swelling, dropsy-like appearance and random wounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay....I have NO clue what the heck is going on with my bettas. The first incident happened with one of my females. She looked like she got a chunk bit out of her underbelly where her anal fins are, swelled up where it was (Dropsy like appearance with the protruding scales from swelling) and then died. Now, one of my males has the EXACT same problems which he's under treatment of betta fix and funus clear from Jungle for the dropsy stuff and NOW I have ANOTHER female who's just starting to have protruding scales (not very noticable unless you really look from above) and looks like her skin is like..stretching. They all had like bloated stomachs kinda and my female that's sick now has poo that isn't white but has nothing in it either. My male is slowly recooperating, the swelling has gone down but the "bite mark" if that's even what it is was looking like the dead flesh was just kinda peeling off this morning in the bucket I have him in , or that the half torn pieces were just floating there next to him... any idea what the heck is going on??? @____@ I just put fungus clear my 20 gal tank because this is just getting ridculus...and I'm not sure but I thought I might've seen some like..stringy-like things off my male's scales but I'm not certain.

Are all the affected fish in the same tank? What are your parameters for that tank if they are all in the same tank?

They were yes. I don't have any tests other than nitrite, I'm still trying to save up to buy some....stupid tests X.x

The female's getting more and more swelled up T____T I feel bad she's showing stress bars @__@ don't blame the poor thing *puts her in isolation too* annnnd my male ISN'T doing as well as I thought ....he was just kinda...chillin down at the bottom balancing on his tail and was barely moving at all and I wasn't even sure if he was ALIVE anymore

There's no nitrite in the water so my guess there is nitrates?

I can't tell you for sure you have nitrates but I would guess so. I am not familiar with betta fix but would treat with a medicine for dropsy. Maracyn II is one med. You can also add some epsom salts to the tank you are isolating them in. I would try 1/8 tsp per gal for starters and see if it draws any fluid out of them. I'm not sure you can help at this point but that is what I would try.

Do a water change on the main tank that they are in.

BigAlsonline.com has the AP FW master test kit on sale I believe. Here is the link.

Dropsy is caused by other problems. I would take your water into an lfs and get it tested for ammonia and nitrates, since you have a nitrite test already. Best treatment and prevention is pristine water conditions.

Fungus Clear treats dropsy, bettafix is like melafix only for bettas and I'm planning on doing a water change today anyways x.x I have 3 pregnant mollies in with those bettas I have and I don't want them getting sick too

Really the female's the only one that's more or less showing dropsy without a cause I can't figure out. The male's body swelled up from the bite wound and has gone down a little bit. X.x

edit: ALRIGHT! That takes the cake!.....My female had NO signs of flesh wounds on her body and there's some now and there's NO other fish with her! GRRRRR!!!

btw I got a nitrate test, testing water ......annnnnd it's only been a minute and it's pushing the middle of the test ^^;.....I did a 50% water change last week x.x I need to do smaller ones this week I'm guessing...

That would be a good idea. Post what the end results of the nitrate test are. You may need to do a pwc right away. I wish you the best of luck.

Erm...Well if I could GUESS..it's either 40,80, or 160 because.... they're almost identical on this thingy x.x I hate these cardsssss...

At any of those numbers it is way too high. You need nitrates to be under 40 ppm, 20 or under is better. Do a large water change. When the numbers look the same on the card, it's time for a water change. The high nitrates could be causing your fish's illnesses. Do water changes every day if need be to get those nitrates down.

Alrighty, I'll do a ...50% water change today and I'll do a 25% water change the next few days but I still can't figure out why their skin would be spilitting >.<

I just did the 50% water change and my stats are now at 0 Nitrites and 10 Nitrates :D

UGH! ANOTHER ONE OF MY MALES IS SICK! >__< He doesn't quite have it YET but he's like laying at the bottom and letting the current kinda push him along -.- I'ma hurt that tank water......

T________________________T I HATE DROPSY! MY FIRST MALE IS ALL OUT SWELL AND SPIKEY! I HATE LOOKING AT IT IT'S DISGUSTING AND MAKES ME DEPRESSED *covers eyes*

Sorry to hear about your fish.
It sounds like it's a bacterial disease that is spreading. I would try Maracyn II.

>____< my female died overnight and my black molly had ...prolapse or something over night too X.x

Back
Top Bottom