Wanted: Better filter for 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariums420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 90g planted tank with won’t smaller fish/shrimp. I’m using cascade 300 filters (2 of them) and 2 sponge filters. Unfortunately covering the intakes isn’t enough to protect some of the more adventurous little guys and they still get sucked under. Is there a better filter I could buy off of someone? Please show what you have, sorry if not allowed but I’m looking to purchase a filter not looking for info per say. Maybe a canister filter?

Hello Aq...

If you're in the habit of removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, why do you need more filtration? The filters are just moving water that's already clean. I have a 100 gallon tank with one dual sponge filter to aerate the water, that's it. I change most of the water weekly, so there's no need to over filter the tank. You can do the same, as long as you're an aggressive water changer. If you're not, then you'll need several filters.

B

Hello Aq...

If you're in the habit of removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, why do you need more filtration? The filters are just moving water that's already clean. I have a 100 gallon tank with one dual sponge filter to aerate the water, that's it. I change most of the water weekly, so there's no need to over filter the tank. You can do the same, as long as you're an aggressive water changer. If you're not, then you'll need several filters.

B

My concern isn’t needing more filtration sorry. My concern is with my shrimp and being that I’m keeping small fish, keep getting stuck to my cascade 300 filter I have in it. I was wondering if there was another filter recommended to use with small fish that don’t grow big and not worry about them getting stuck to the intake tube. I tired putting sponge filter over it but slows the flow too much.

Hello Aq...

There is and I kind of referred to it in my earlier post. Your sponge filters are the best and safest for your small fish. The current moves upward and that doesn't create as strong a current as a filter that forces the water down. The reason is simple: gravity. Work up to the point you change half or more of the tank water weekly. If you like, add a third dual sponge to the tank. If you follow an aggressive water change routine, you don't need the added filtration.

B

I cover the intake on my power filter with a relatively coarse sponge meant to be used as filter media in a smaller size filter. I used a hobby knife to cut a + shape into the top of the sponge (but not all the way through!) so it could be slid over the intake.

I use a media bag to cover the intake of my current canister filter. I've also used a coarse sponge on a different filter/tank setup. Depending on shape and size of your intake you may be able the netting from a fish net. The latter I use on my aquarium circulation pump to keep the inhabitants out of it.

I use a media bag to cover the intake of my current canister filter. I've also used a coarse sponge on a different filter/tank setup. Depending on shape and size of your intake you may be able the netting from a fish net. The latter I use on my aquarium circulation pump to keep the inhabitants out of it.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using one of my old nets but that sounds good too.

Hello Aq...

There is and I kind of referred to it in my earlier post. Your sponge filters are the best and safest for your small fish. The current moves upward and that doesn't create as strong a current as a filter that forces the water down. The reason is simple: gravity. Work up to the point you change half or more of the tank water weekly. If you like, add a third dual sponge to the tank. If you follow an aggressive water change routine, you don't need the added filtration.

B

I’m running 3 sponge filters and I have a bubbler strip as well. I’ll do a 1/4 water change a week and test and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom