Better for fish to be moved with net or hands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you must move your fish, which way do you believe is better for the fish and why. Moving them with a net or with your hands?

I usually use a net, however when I moved my fish to our new home at the end of August I didn't have a large enough net for my larger fish. I simply cornered them and then grabbed them with my hands. Among the fish moved this way was a 7 inch long salvini cichlid, a 8 inch long red devil, and a 12 inch long common pleco.

All the fish survived the move from Fairfax, Virginia to Woodbridge, Virginia.

My husband moves our cichlids with his hands and has moved the betta on occassion. I prefer the net, which explains the 4 sizes we have. As long as care is taken with moving the fish, provided your hands are clean and free of soap or lotion, I don't think it matters. As a general FWIW for anyone reading this~never touch your fish with dry hands.

I like to grab cats/plecs with my hands because sometimes when scared they tend to stick out their fins/spines which can get trapped in nets causing undue stress. You can also use a piece of tupperware with holes in it to combat this issue.

RogerMcAllen said:
I like to grab cats/plecs with my hands because sometimes when scared they tend to stick out their fins/spines which can get trapped in nets causing undue stress. You can also use a piece of tupperware with holes in it to combat this issue.
good one :!: i like that idea. real good.

I heard that about the common plecos (that they get stuck in nets) which was the reason I leaned toward moving him with my hands. In fact he has been moved a few times with my hands.

My hands are always wet since I stick them all the way in the tank to catch the fish.

yea, how can you catch a fish with dry hands? :roll::lol: hehe, i used a bag to catch my plec, just used the net to 'guide' him in the general direction.

I would be too scared to use my hands... dnt their spines contain some kind of poison? or did i dream that?!

As far as I know they aren't poisonous. In any case I grab mine in such a way that his side fins get folded against his sides and in this way he has no chance of sticking me with anything.

every once in a while I will move a fish by hand, but the wiggling creeps me out. So I ususlly use a clear plastic container. They don't seem to see a clear container comming at them as well as a net.

chrism said:
yea, how can you catch a fish with dry hands? :roll::lol: hehe,

Fish jumps out of an improperly sealed tank, you go to pick it up to put it back in the tank...voila! You just caught a fish with dry hands...

I would be nervous about trying to catch any of my loaches with my hands rather than a net. Those little blades look like they could give a nice little cut.

Menagerie: When you say spines are you talking about the pointed things at the end of the plecos two side fins?

Can the pleco use this to hurt fish who pester him? Could the poison kill a fish?

Back
Top Bottom