Better lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i want to have a 40g planted aquarium with alot of different types of plants, but was wondering if i needed better lighting. I have 1 t8 6000k but it doeant seem to help much. What if i took the light from my 10g and put that on there also? Hellp

I dont want to get too complicated of plants, but somethings other than like moss ya no?

So one 6000k is good enough? I would like better but im runnin low on cash!

Gboy66 said:
So one 6000k is good enough? I would like better but im runnin low on cash!

Well I have 4 6500k screw in cfls and they were 5$ a piece

40 G Lighting

Hello again Gboy...

Your T8, 6000 K bulb will work if you stay with low light plants. I have a 45 G tall with a single T12, 32 watt, 6500 K bulb in it and the low light plants grow very well (see pic). I like to experiment with substrates and liquid ferts to see what will grow. I use pots with pea gravel on top of organic potting soil. This way I can move plants around and stack pots to get plants closer to the light. I even have strong light Bananas floating that grow in low light.

You can have Java fern tied to lava rock or floating on driftwood. Anubias does well just perched on a large piece of lava rock. There are varieties of Cryptocoryne that like shade or low light. Amazon swords get tall, so don't mind low light either. Ludwigia is a good stem for lower light tanks, so is Pennywort.

There are more than enough of these kinds of plants to fill a 40 G. I dose a couple of different liquids a couple of times a week too. As long as you provide your plants with a source of macro and micro nutrients, you don't need high end lighting or CO2.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again Gboy...

Your T8, 6000 K bulb will work if you stay with low light plants. I have a 45 G tall with a single T12, 32 watt, 6500 K bulb in it and the low light plants grow very well (see pic). I like to experiment with substrates and liquid ferts to see what will grow. I use pots with pea gravel on top of organic potting soil. This way I can move plants around and stack pots to get plants closer to the light. I even have strong light Bananas floating that grow in low light.

You can have Java fern tied to lava rock or floating on driftwood. Anubias does well just perched on a large piece of lava rock. There are varieties of Cryptocoryne that like shade or low light. Amazon swords get tall, so don't mind low light either. Ludwigia is a good stem for lower light tanks, so is Pennywort.

There are more than enough of these kinds of plants to fill a 40 G. I dose a couple of different liquids a couple of times a week too. As long as you provide your plants with a source of macro and micro nutrients, you don't need high end lighting or CO2.

B

Woah man nice plants firat of all!! And ya i see, that sounds awesome and inexpensive! Im just afraid that my lfs will sell me high liggt plants that they say are lo light..

Low Light Plants

Gboy...

You can always pick up a cheap plant book and do a little research on low light plants. Another option is to check this forum for people selling low light plants. If you need a list, I can give you one. Then just cruise this forum and see what people have to sell.

I've personally never bought any, but the price is right and most will have some good deals on their trimmings.

Just a thought.

B

Hmm sounds a plan! Iv never actually had anything shipped to me so im kinda hesitant about that! Could you hive me just a couple plant names? Not too many and no moss either plz! Thanks so much

Gboy66 said:
Hmm sounds a plan! Iv never actually had anything shipped to me so im kinda hesitant about that! Could you hive me just a couple plant names? Not too many and no moss either plz! Thanks so much

I would go with an Amazon sword. Here is my plants

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110906_222455.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110906_222455.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20110906_222548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110906_222548.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
Yea it is. I just seperate them in half each time they are big enough and now is about that time. I do it when they have 20 leaves

Back
Top Bottom