Better lights for a 20 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 long with one strip light with an 18 watt fluorescent bulb. It provides okay light, but nothing spectacular, and apparently not enough light to keep java moss from going brown. :( Though, somehow my java ferns and anubias are content, because they are sprouting new leaves regularly. I thought java moss needed less light than those...
(I know that the java moss isn't just dying because of my water. I do have a small cherry shrimp tank on my desk with java moss that is absolutely thriving, but it has a 13 watt twisted fluorescent bulb lamp over it, which is plenty for a three gallon tank. The moss in this tank has grown out from a golf ball sized clump and filled nearly half the tank in four months! So I think it's clear that it just needs light.)

I'd like some better light so I could try a different type of plant. I'm not all that knowledgeable about aquarium lights, and I'm not exactly rich. Is there a way I can upgrade without spending a bunch of money? What kind of lights can I get that aren't too complicated and not expensive?

Any recommendations on easy plants for a 20 gallon long would be appreciated. I have just a standard gravel substrate, so I can't get any rooted plants that need dirt. I was thinking that I could get some crypts, since I've read that they can root in gravel well. But I'm not going to get any with my current light, since it can't even support java moss.

I would suggest a 30" finnex fuge ray. That should give you a medium light level in your tank and open up a ton of different species for you to try.

AquaVibrant

It's $82 but keep in mind with a fluorescent fixture you will need to replace the bulbs yearly. The LED fixtures should run for at least 3 years, probably longer without requiring maintenance. This isn't even taking into account the difference in electricity consumption. Despite the higher initial cost of LEDs you are saving quite a bit in the long run.

I would suggest a 30" finnex fuge ray. That should give you a medium light level in your tank and open up a ton of different species for you to try.

AquaVibrant

It's $82 but keep in mind with a fluorescent fixture you will need to replace the bulbs yearly. The LED fixtures should run for at least 3 years, probably longer without requiring maintenance. This isn't even taking into account the difference in electricity consumption. Despite the higher initial cost of LEDs you are saving quite a bit in the long run.

Ouch, I definitely can't afford that right now. I'll just stick with my current light. Maybe in a few more months. :(
I saw how it attaches to the aquarium with a screw clamp thing. That's kind of neat.

Ouch, I definitely can't afford that right now. I'll just stick with my current light. Maybe in a few more months. :(

Lighting is horrendously expensive :( the cost of high tech high light tanks rivals that of a lower to mid end reef tank :(

On that note, there are absolutely gorgeous low light planted tanks out there. What plants do you currently have?

Lighting is horrendously expensive :( the cost of high tech high light tanks rivals that of a lower to mid end reef tank :(

On that note, there are absolutely gorgeous low light planted tanks out there. What plants do you currently have?

I've only got java ferns and anubias at the moment. I tried java moss a couple of times, but it just turns brown within a month. But I also have a three gallon shrimp tank with a 13 watt fluorescent lamp over it, and the java moss in there grows like weeds! I started with a small golf ball-sized clump, and now it's filled half the tank. This shrimp tank's only been going for about four months.

Look into getting some Crypts or bolbitis.

Some good crypt species - Wendtii, Parva, Balanase, Undulatus, or Blasii

They will add a ton of variety to your tank. Be warned though, they tend to melt when they get replanted so if you buy some and they look like they are dying after you put them in your tank don't worry because it's normal. They are also heavy root feeders and will need some root tabs.

Look into getting some Crypts or bolbitis.

Some good crypt species - Wendtii, Parva, Balanase, Undulatus, or Blasii

They will add a ton of variety to your tank. Be warned though, they tend to melt when they get replanted so if you buy some and they look like they are dying after you put them in your tank don't worry because it's normal. They are also heavy root feeders and will need some root tabs.

I like the Bolbitis heudelotii, and I think I might try one of those if I can find them. I have a big bare patch on one of my chunks of driftwood that I could attach it to. I read some comments saying that it does better with CO2, but I don't think I'll invest in that. I'll end up doing it wrong and killing my fish...
Another problem might be that my water is about 16 gh, and this is supposed to be a soft water plant...But my kh is only about eight, which if I understand correctly, is actually not too high...Maybe that will help?

Crypt Parva doesn't do well in lower light tanks as it's actually one of the crypts that prefer medium light. Most other crypts will do quite well in low light. I have Bolbitus in almost all my tanks, some with CO2 and others in tanks using only liquid carbon. CO2 will just make them grow faster but isn't necessary. They will have problems usually with BBA if kept under too high of lighting and actually like and seem to do better in softer water with a gh and kh of no higher than 4 but I have one tank with a higher gh and kh and they still do well in that tank. When they aren't happy you will notice leaves begin to turn black. I've found this is most common if they don't like the gh and kh of the water.

Some cheaper lighting options for your 20L would be a couple of metal clamp on dome lights and spiral CFL bulbs. Lights cost between $6-$8 at Walmart and a pack of 6500k bulbs cost around $10. I got high light on my 29 gallon high with them. I am using them on my 10 and 5 gallon right now. I have a cheap T8 grow light from Walmart on my 20L tank right now. It comes with a 7800k bulb and cost $10. I am growing different cuttings from my other tanks in it right now and everything is growing nicely with that light. I am going to use my Oddysea 24" dual light fixture ($39.90) on it when I order the quad light for my 29 gallon. I provided links to all the lights I suggested in case you wanted to check them out.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light - Walmart.com

I couldn't find the T8 fixture I bought from Walmart. They must have discontinued it. I will post it if I find it.

Back
Top Bottom