Better ways to deal with fish waste???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would like to know if anyone has a better way of dealing with the waste left behind by fish? I have an electric vac but I also have sand as a substrate Nd with the vac it seems like I have to put it almost into the sand to get any real type of suction... Also have. Water changer but even with the sink on full blast still doesn't seem to produce enough suction with inhaling large amounts of sand...

And suggestions?

All I do is take the hose and keep it above the sand, never touching the sand and go across.

Have you tried a power head? It can help by not allowing or keeping some debris from settling on the substrate. I use one and it helps a lot.

Convict2161 said:
All I do is take the hose and keep it above the sand, never touching the sand and go across.

Have you tried a power head? It can help by not allowing or keeping some debris from settling on the substrate. I use one and it helps a lot.

+1 preventing the debris from ever settling is the best way to deal with it.

HopefulHobbiest said:
Also vac doesn't work well hovering that far off the sand... I have to put it almost into the sand lol its a pain...

I know what you mean my sink is almost level with my tank so I have low pressure on my python but the placement will depend on substrate used and your scaping.. just play with it until you find a balance between a sandstorm and any dead spots (places you see debris building up)

To answer your question about a power head. YES you can use one in a 55 gallon. Look into the Koralia 750. That will be fine. To give you an idea. I use a bigger Koralia in my 75 gallon and it has 100 pounds of Tahitian moon sand and I don't have sand storms.

Back
Top Bottom