Beware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ludmila

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Going from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank and adding Neons purchased from large box petstores infected all my old fish and now we have none :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Welcome to the community and truly sad news on your loss. :(

I do run a quarantine tank but have found good value in a specialty (mum and pop size) store.

Very sorry about all the losses in your tank.

So true, I have had losses of about 60 Neons over the past month and a half. Sick fish and mine were in QT so that was an advantange I had but sad and maddening.

Any fish can become stressed and ill during shipping and handling even if they left the breeding /shipping facility in good health. They may not have been healthy either when they left. Can't know at this point.

My last batch there were quite a number of dead fish from 24 hours at the store but feeling like I could give them a good environment I was willing to try to and get them in condition to live in a beautiful large school. That was a bad call. Does make me very sad to see.

I understand what you have experienced, by having the same thing you have happen and it was from a reputable lfs and what made me madder was that later when I called and talked to them, they mentioned they had had a bunch of then die and sold me the last 3 fish anyhow!

So it can be any situation. Private owner store or big box store. After that time I started to do QT.

Again very sorry you have had this happen. You are not alone.

L. I don't typically buy from the big box pet stores, but every once in a while a good pick up becomes available. Just a suggestion, next time have the store clerk feed the desired fish and make sure they are eating. Closely examine each fish, select the exact one you want and insist the clerk net that particular fish. Kind of difficult with a school of neons, but I'm sure you
get the point.

Neons

Thank you for the simple but most helpful suggestions in purchasing new fish. The workers in these environments do not have the patience, discipline and concentration to work effectively. This is a management problem that costs millions in avoidable turnovers in their labor pools. Thanks again!!!::)

Back
Top Bottom