BGA! Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCLXVI

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank has been up and running for quite a while now. A few weeks back I noticed what looked like normal algae growing on my sand substrate. I removed it, and wouldn't you know it came back a little worse. I then removed all my plants and drift wood and completely vacuumed the sand removing as much as I could. Now it seems like its back even worse then before. :facepalm:
After some research I know its BGA and I'm desperate to get rid of it.
Three methods Ive come across are Hydrogen Peroxide, a 3 day black out, and of course chemical treatment. Any one know what the best one is for a long term fix? I don't want to go the chemical route because I have a Brown Ghost Knife in the tank. I don't want to go the black out way because 3 days without monitoring my fish sounds like torture lol. And the Hydrogen Peroxide method seems sketchy at the best.

Ph 7.2
Ammo 0
temp ~80f
64 watts on for about 10 hours a day

Thanks in advanced!

Well, none of those are long term fixes. They're all short term bandages, none of which address the real problem: low nitrates. BGA (actually a cyanobacteria) can fix nitrogen, which allows it to thrive in minimal nitrate environments where other algae and nitrate will struggle. If you keep with low nitrate, you'll just regrow it.

But I think you've already answered you question. If meds are out of the question, you do the blackout. You can still peep in your tank to make sure everyone is hunky-dory, but not too much.

Never heard of the hydrogen peroxide treatment.

It's strange because I dose bottled firtz that only contain nitrates.
1-0-0 if I remember.

Also, should I toss the carbon in my filter? I just added a second HOB (aquaclear) and put it the carbon. Im waiting on a delivery with more foam pads and some purigen.

I think tomorrow im going to do like a 50% water change and vacuum the **** out of my tank.

aqua_chem said:
Well, none of those are long term fixes. They're all short term bandages, none of which address the real problem: low nitrates. BGA (actually a cyanobacteria) can fix nitrogen, which allows it to thrive in minimal nitrate environments where other algae and nitrate will struggle. If you keep with low nitrate, you'll just regrow it.

But I think you've already answered you question. If meds are out of the question, you do the blackout. You can still peep in your tank to make sure everyone is hunky-dory, but not too much.

Never heard of the hydrogen peroxide treatment.

You can spot treat algae with hydrogen peroxide. Kills it instantly. Use 3% or 6% solution and use a syringe to help aim it at the algae. Keep all filters and powerheads off for 20minutes to protect your BB then your right to turn them back on. Some plants and mosses are sensitive to it and can get killed and/or damaged in the process. I've never used this method myself but I've heard nothing but positive things about it from other aquarists I know.

I ment I've never heard of people treating bga with h2o2. Also, I dont know how bga, being a bacteria, would respond.

Low flow is supposed to be a cause. I don't know that low nitrates would be the problem since I only get it in tanks with no plants. Erthromyacin (Maracyn) will kill it. It may or may not come back.

BGA is primarily casued by low flow and low nitrate levels. You can use Maracyn to kill it but unless you kill teh root cause it will more then likely come back again and again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom