bichir growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warfish123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have 3 bichirs
sengalas
dehizi
endlichi

What I'd like to know is the fastest way to get these little guys to grow have them in a 75 gallon tank which was the main home of my 4th which is a 12 inch sengalas I'd like to have them all in the same tank but size was the issue the big sengalas has been moved for now but what is the fastest way to grow the babies?

Currently they are eating blood worms and shrimp pellots with bunks of silver sides

Quality dried food (i like massivore) with what you're currently feeding. Feed two or three times a day.
Also frequent large water changes, keep nitrates under 15. Keep the temperature near the high end of their range for a faster metabolism.
This will likely shorten their life somewhat, but they'll grow fast.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Food variety as well. The Endli will grow much faster than the Delhezi and Senagal. I bought 3 Endli's and 1 Delhezi at 2.5". Within a month one Endli grew large enough to eat the Delhezi.

Also, each individual will have different growth rates. One of my Endli's is over 8" (bought all 3 at 2.5" around May), the other two are at 6.5" and 7.25"). They do not share the appetite of the larger one. I started power feeding to see if it made a difference and in just one month I saw close to an inch of growth in my larger Endli and my Ornate. It will wreak havoc on your water quality though. I had to do 75% water changes three times a week to keep the Nitrates down.

My bichirs get a staple of Carnivore pellets (same as Massivore but a smaller pellet), Tilapia, and Red Worms. Once a week I will feed one of the following Raw Shrimp, Frozen Krill, Beefheart or NLS Thera A pellets.

Back
Top Bottom