big freshwater-saltwater conversion. need expert advice from the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont want to do it in case i dont want to half a saltwater in a few years or so ahead

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont want to do it in case i dont want to half a saltwater in a few years or so ahead

Sumps work just as well on fresh water tanks as they do on salt. But you can run a sump on an overflow box, you just have to be aware that there are risks. Check the tube regularly and it will be fine.

Very likely if you have snails in your sump, or a refugium before your return pump.

""If"" you have snails in your sump "or" a refugium before...got ya! So if neither we are good to go! (y)

Furthermore, their wall of text is full of conflicting information. It's a gimmick move on the companies part that's trying to make their products seem better than their competition; when really they are just the same.

Just looks like good information to me in that wall of txt. That snake oil he is selling must be good for doing it for so long and so many products he sells as well.

So, again.... there is a "slight" difference between your old system and his as stated even if so small. For me, ive seen them working with no issues, havent heard any others with issues.....I'm a number kind of guy, so if there is a few out there i will say so. On Mike's grid about a year ago, power was shuting off and on for about week for whatever reason FPL had going on....about 2/3 times a day in the evening time.... Not one issues in the start up of the siphon. The only problem he had was with 2 of his koralia. One was spinning the other way and another with clicking trying to start when power came on.

For the record- If it was me i will drill that thing. OP doesn't feel comfortable enough in doing so.... cause what "if" he cracks his glass. If me, I will save and have someone do it for you. Check with an LFS if they will do it for you. Around here is about $10- $20 range for 1-4 holes. Check and ask it wont hurt. They made come out to you for a little extra or you are gonna have to take the aquarium to them. Or buy some glass and do a few test before getting your feet wet if you go that route. Even a sump on the freshwater side is awesome and the way to go IMHO. With a nice wet/dry and you are set..Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked through the choices and the option of having a hole and letting gravity take the water down seems like a better way but for now ill go with an overflow to avoid potentially damaging the glass. Tanks this big start to get mad expensive as most of you probably know. If it dosent work well duting the cycle ill have to hire someone to make the hole

""If"" you have snails in your sump "or" a refugium before...got ya! So if neither we are good to go! (y)

Just looks like good information to me in that wall of txt. That snake oil he is selling must be good for doing it for so long and so many products he sells as well.

So, again.... there is a "slight" difference between your old system and his as stated even if so small. For me, ive seen them working with no issues, havent heard any others with issues.....I'm a number kind of guy, so if there is a few out there i will say so. On Mike's grid about a year ago, power was shuting off and on for about week for whatever reason FPL had going on....about 2/3 times a day in the evening time.... Not one issues in the start up of the siphon. The only problem he had was with 2 of his koralia. One was spinning the other way and another with clicking trying to start when power came on.

For the record- If it was me i will drill that **** thing. OP doesn't feel comfortable enough in doing so.... cause what "if" he cracks his glass. If me, I will save and have someone do it for you. Check with an LFS if they will do it for you. Around here is about $10- $20 range for 1-4 holes. Check and ask it wont hurt. They made come out to you for a little extra or you are gonna have to take the aquarium to them. Or buy some glass and do a few test before getting your feet wet if you go that route. Even a sump on the freshwater side is awesome and the way to go IMHO. With a nice wet/dry and you are set..Good luck!

I never said it was snake oil. Just that he was trying to pass off an average product as extraordinary and was stretching to make it sound that way.

The problem with that type isn't restarting, which they will all do every time; but instead a gradual loss of flow due to a build up of air bubbles accumulating in the U tube. If you don't catch them it can cause a complete failure of the siphon.

I believe that the bubbles accumulate when the return flow is not perfectly set to match the drain. If it's less than ideal, it will still run, but will lead to the scenario you speak of.

I believe that the bubbles accumulate when the return flow is not perfectly set to match the drain. If it's less than ideal, it will still run, but will lead to the scenario you speak of.

+1 but over time the flow rate can change on your pump. For example, my current one has a pre filter that I use. If it becomes clogged it drops the flow rate by a large amount.

Yes...and this was my point earlier. Changes in flow do happen, and aren't as rare as"Rare" tried to make it seem.

Yes...and this was my point earlier. Changes in flow do happen, and aren't as rare as"Rare" tried to make it seem.

Your were more focus on snails and loss of power on the pump side. My point was siphon lost due to power going on out and the restart of the siphon.:rolleyes:

Would i have to get a pumo for my return with 1200gph because the overflow is 1200gph

-Says the sellers of overflow boxes.
There are variables to consider. If for any reason the return pump puts out less than the correct gph, the siphon can fail. It has nothing to do with cheap overflow boxes. It could be obstructions. What happens if some macro algae or a snail gets caught in the return pump?
I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. Note the "for any reason" comment. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.
You should drill the tank while it's empty. Relying on gravity to deliver water to the sump is much safer than relying on a siphon. It's super easy to do.
Here is everything you need plus step by step videos-
Overflow Box 1500 GPH
-This is what prompted you to comment.
Your were more focus on snails and loss of power on the pump side. My point was siphon lost due to power going on out and the restart of the siphon.:rolleyes:
I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.

I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. Note the "for any reason" comment. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.

Sorry, there bud...:facepalm: I was agreeing with your post after you posted. You are post #13 And "if" you read, I said if your not, i gave him the other option in the link to the OP & that is what prompted you to comment me. Then you went on the silly snail & pump which you were focus on. I was number #14 by the way (y) It's okay..... :flowers:

Here is everything you need plus step by step videos-
Overflow Box 1500 GPH

I'm with doing the overflow box- if you are not

Strange that you would agree, and then quote that 26 year HOB overflow guy in the same post. I stand corrected.

Strange that you would agree, and then quote that 26 year HOB overflow guy in the same post. I stand corrected.

Nothing strange- The quote from the website was meant for sniperhank using the CPR & the OP to read the wall of txt but it went the other way. The less accessories that can fail, the better was my point on the CPR and siphon lost on start up if the aquapump failed. (Again, i rather drill baby drill!!) Ive read way too many stories on the issues with the CPR and even some on the eshopp one's and others that are similar but not the same. I have yet to find any bad reviews on the life reef from any forums or friends using it. All i see is drill, if not, other member recommending the life reef because they are using it. One guy post was in 2011 and he was still using it since 1998 with no issues. I think with such good reviews from their products and their customer service side it's the way to go "if" not drilling.

Actually, I happen to like the cpr overflows because of the aqualifter pump. The only problem I've encountered was that the pump wears out over time. I think I ended up replacing my pump about yearly. When they fail they don't just stop- they start pulling less and less air until they are so weak they no longer work.

Actually, I happen to like the cpr overflows because of the aqualifter pump. The only problem I've encountered was that the pump wears out over time. I think I ended up replacing my pump about yearly. When they fail they don't just stop- they start pulling less and less air until they are so weak they no longer work.

The less accessories that can fail, the better. (y)

Back
Top Bottom