Big man on campus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've noticed that there seems to be two guys (or gals. Too young to tell) from my batch of two-month-old platy fry that are considerably bigger than their brothers and sisters. I never really paid attention during feeding time to see if they were possibly aggressive and stealing all the food. Anyway, I've got them acclimating in a plastic bag right now. I've decided they're big enough to go into the big tank.

Has anybody experienced this? Where one or two fry grow much more quickly than the others? I'm not really too concerned about it, but is their some kind of reason for this? Or is it just genetics?

Are they all from the same batch? Another way they could be bigger is because they get more food then the others.

Samzter said:
Are they all from the same batch? Another way they could be bigger is because they get more food then the others.

Yep! All born at the same time. Let's see how they do in the 29 gallon with the big fish.

I actually had a platy give birth about three months ago...maybe four...and there are two fry that are close to looking full grown...while the rest are at most half their size...maybe a little less than half their size. I thought it was weird too...the larger ones don't seem to eat more than the smaller ones at all...I've actually seen them eat a lot less on multiple occasions. I'll try and take a picture if I can

They're both females by the way and they are also carrying eggs.....which the other female fry aren't. I thought it was extra weird that these two specific ones even developed sexually faster than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom