Big problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a problem. I just got back from the LFS and I bought a coral. I asked the guy what he kept their salinity and he told me, 1.025. Then he tested it with a Deap Six hydrometer in front of me

I get home and I test the water with my refrac...1.030!

I also have a deap six hydro as a backup. When I first got my tank I calibrated my refrac and my hydro was way off so I trusted the refrac. My refrac reads 1.025 for my tank and 1.030 for theirs. My hydro test theirs at 1.025!!

I grab my hydro and it says my tank is 1.020. I didn't have any distilled water on me so I tested some tap with the refrac and it gave me 0 but so did the hydro.

Now what? If my tank is 1.020 how are all my corals and fish ok, and if I have to raise it, should I just not to topoffs for a few days until I get my tank up higher? I thought refracs were suppose to be more accurate?

Thanks

I would trust your refractometer reading of 1.025 for your tank, if it were me. It's possible that the hydrometers have the same error in measurment. My hydrometer has never been accurate...save for when I first got it. If everything looks fine, nothing to worry about.

I would trust the refractometer. Go by it for yours and his. That is the most reliable. If yours is low than top off with salt water instead of FW till yours is at desired level. Forget the hydro and trust your refrac. If your water is 1.025 and his is 1.030 a slow drip acclimation will be needed to bring it to your tank level.

I think that this is my fault and I made a big mistake while calibrating my refrac.

Not only that, I made another big mistake and I did not acclimate the coral or serpant start I got. I am keeping an eye on them. I thought my salinity was the same. Live and learn

When I calibrated with distilled water, I set it to the bottom line which I now realize reads 1.000 Was it suppose to be set below the bottom line?

I know that refracs are more accurate but I thought salt water animals couldn't even live in 1.030?

Distilled set at 1.000. They could make it for a little while but the problem is a big salinity change all of a sudden. That is the purpose of the Drip acclimation to bring it up or down slowly to yours. Good Luck

I found my hydro was about .00500 off, when compared to my refracto, so that seems about right, unless my math is terribly wrong. I agree with DT, trust your refracto IF YOU calibrated it with distilled water (I wasn't yelling, so please do not take it that way).

Mike469 said:
set it to the bottom line which I now realize reads 1.000
That should exactly where you want it, matched up with the line. I had the exact same question.
Mike469 said:
I thought salt water animals couldn't even live in 1.030?
To put you at ease, think of a lagoon, that the water slowly evaporates, causing the salinity to slowly rise. The critters in there can live for a while or even possibly adapt. I think you should be ok. I am not 100% sure, but I believe corals like a higher salinity....somewhere around 1.024, or so. I don't think 1.030 is terribly horrible for them, but I would reduce the salinity. Hopefully, one of the experienced "reefers" can help you more efficiently.
I think you are doing a great job! I know you are great on the FW side, just don't overthink too much and keep the questions coming. I believe I told you one time that I might be needing your help on the FW side (dang all you folks with the cool looking decos and backgrounds on the FW side! LOL!)

refrac

What is the difference with testing distilled with tap?

Tap should not have any salt in it?

I don't have any distilled to recalibrate my refrac on me.

Mike469 said:
What is the difference with testing distilled with tap?
I don't think I could list all of the differences, it depends on where you live and what the city puts into the water. I believe, distilled water is, for the lack of argument "pure" water. It goes through a process that "should take out all the contaminants". Ideally, it should be 100% H2O (of course, it probably really isn't). I bought mine at CVS. Tap water has other contaminants in it...possibly even a little salt.... If there is a science person out there, they can possibly explain a little better. My suggestion, get distilled water and calibrate that way.......you can even calibrate your hydro...add the distilled water, mark where the arm rests and that should be your 0.....

I think the easiest way...get distilled water and calibrate....

refrac

Ok. Thanks for everybodys help as always.

I am not going to try and alter anything right now. If everything is living fine, I want to keep it thayt way.

Tomorrow I will go get some distilled water. If it is off, I will slowly fix it. Even if it is a little low, soft corals should probably be ok.

I will let you know what happens.

I don't doubt what Devilshirts said about them both being inaccurate at the same reading.

Thanks again.

Yes, they can live in differing salinities, but like the other guys said, it's stability that you want. If your tank measures at 1.025 now, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Always drip acclimate, even if you are 100% sure salinities are the same.

I believe stability is the best way to go. If you want to reduce the salinity, I would pre mix my water with a little lower salinity and lower it through PWCs, over time.

Just a side note to say ALWAYS acclimate. It is not just a salinity difference, but ph and temp difference and over all water difference that you are acclimating them to...the larger the discrepency between the two tanks chemistry, the longer the acclimation time required.

I agree with Hara.....the only big problem I see is that you didnt drip acclimate!

My LFS's water is always off......As long as you drip acclimate it wont be a problem...

And always trust your refracto, once you have it calibrated right!

BTW, throw away your hydrometer, thats where it belongs, in the trash!

This is a side note, intended for roka64, without getting into the osmoregulation aspects of coral tissues and varying salinities... Elevated salinity can also bring about an unexpected side-effect: it filters light, changing spectrum, and typically encourages unwanted cyano and micro-algae!

afishyonados said:
This is a side note, intended for roka64, without getting into the osmoregulation aspects of coral tissues and varying salinities... Elevated salinity can also bring about an unexpected side-effect: it filters light, changing spectrum, and typically encourages unwanted cyano and micro-algae!
Actually, that makes a lot of sense...more salt, more dense, less light....Thanks for the info!

Just got home with some distilled water about an hour ago. Recalibrated the refrac, and I got the same. Refrac tests 1.024, and hydro, 1.021. I called the LFS to tell them that their water tested at 1.030. It is my least favorite LFS as far as selection, quality and price. They told me that couldn't be...Oh well.

I am really shocked that a good size LFS that has a marine section with LR, inverts, and fish do not use a high quality refractometer! IMO, that is a shame. I mean come on, they sell them!!

That`s what I would think also. Well it looks like the case is solved Good Luck Mike

Back
Top Bottom