Bill's return of the 12 gallon long...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all!

Well, I have been semi out of the hobby for what feels like forever... I've had one tank running, and that's a 10 gallon SW tank in my stepson's room that I built for him. I've had the 12 long broken down, considered selling it off, and eventually decided I'd make it a reef tank. I even drilled it and was ready to build a stand and sump...

Well, I started missing the FW side, and figured, hey, I could still make this work... I had drilled the back right side for a 1" drain and 1/2" return. I put a 1/2" reducer in the 1" bulkhead, and now I can run my canister filter! And no more worrying about cleaning lily pipes and clear tubing! Yay!

Anyways, I'm not sure where this tank will go as far as plants, but I feel that I have a strong hardscape.

For those who don't know, here is the equipment list...

• Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
• Current Sat + LED
• Fluval 106 canister filter
• Hydor inline heater

Planned livestock...

• Green neon and/or ember tetras
• Julii corydoras

And the hardscape...

• Lots of driftwood
• Sand, gravel, and a few stones

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Man that looks fantastic. I especially like the idea of the drilled part without worrying about dirty pipes. That's some nice DW.. are they anchored down to prevent floating?

Following :)

Thanks guys.

Brian, I'm praying that the wood doesn't float! Guess I should've tested it first... I have a few extra pieces I didn't use that I can float test...

Just ordered two 1/2" elbow barb fittings to thread in to the bulkheads, black vinyl tubing, and a couple hose clamps in case any of the connections are loose. Just have to wait for that stuff to come in so I can hook up the canister and heater, and then I can attempt to fill this tank once again! :D

Looks great. What are you planning plant wise?

Not sure at this point... Nothing to exciting if anything... I don't have a whole lot of room... Haha

Kinda leaning towards a South America biotope-ish tank. So probably some plants from that region...

The layout looks really cool with very dim light, so plants will have to be easy. I want this tank to be as low maintenance and easy care as possible!

I finally had time to start a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time...

DIY ADA style stand!

I still need to pick up the piece for the back and figure out how I'm gonna do the doors, but at least I got it started...

Everything is just screwed together for a dry fit as of right now. I'm going to disassemble it all so I can glue, clamp, and screw it all for a nice strong build.

I'm also going to put shelves on the left side for all my fish junk, and the canister and other equipment will go on the right.

All in all, I'm happy with how it's coming out so far... Still lots of work to be done so this might take a while... Stay tuned...

Awesome! Wish I had the DIY skills for this! No more restrictions due to being on a kitchen counter too! Maybe you should consider incorporating a conduit pipe light hanger and suspend the sat+ just a tad.

One step ahead of you bud....

The stand is actually a bit deeper front to back than the tank for two reasons...

1. So the vinyl tubing from the bulkheads can feed straight down in to the stand.

2. So I can build some light hangers and they too will feed in to holes in the stand from behind the tank.

Either will look good.. I'm sure you'll nail it. You have a good eye for this stuff!

Thanks man... I hope it turns out well... Not sure if I want to stain/paint it or skin it with laminate... Laminate would be more durable but I could probably only get it in black... I was wanting an espresso color to match the rest of my furniture... Opinions?

Thanks man... I hope it turns out well... Not sure if I want to stain/paint it or skin it with laminate... Laminate would be more durable but I could probably only get it in black... I was wanting an espresso color to match the rest of my furniture... Opinions?

Staining it to match your furniture would tie it all together. Would probably require some extra pieces of wood and a few different stains to see which one gives you the best match.

Staining it to match your furniture would tie it all together. Would probably require some extra pieces of wood and a few different stains to see which one gives you the best match.

Yeah... I've always read that espresso stains never come out dark like you'd typically want them to... I was thinking about using one of those cabinet refinishing kits, which I believe is more of a paint but comes out really smooth...

Back
Top Bottom