Bio balls-good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been reading through some threads and someone said that bio balls are nitrate factory.
At the moment I have a wet/dry filter which has pads in the top section, bio balls in the second and white tube like things in the bottom.
Only the bottom tray is under water if the levels are correct in the filter.
Until I upgrade to a proper sump is there anything I could do to improve this one?
Would swapping the balls for live rock rubble be of any benefit? And is it true about the bio balls been a nitrate factory. Should I be cleaning them?

Thanks again.

I guess that they are called a nitrate factory because they are so effective at housing bacteria thatconvert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate.

Just keep the bio balls cleaned as best you can. Don't clean them all at once as you want some to house BB for you.

They're called nitrate factories because if not cleaned regularly the buildup on the balls can generate more nitrate than you would have otherwise intended.

AquaRick said:
Just keep the bio balls cleaned as best you can. Don't clean them all at once as you want some to house BB for you.

They're called nitrate factories because if not cleaned regularly the buildup on the balls can generate more nitrate than you would have otherwise intended.

Makes sense, I was always wondering about that.

Back
Top Bottom