Bio filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long can an established tank go w/out ammonia an stay 'alive'?

Thanks!

That's debatable based on individual experience although scientific research has proven that nitrifying bacteria can actually last much longer than anyone is lead to believe. It will depend in part on the bioload the tank carried and how long the bb are deprived of ammonia.

Well first off my MIL will be passing in a few days she is terminally ill. This requires us to head up to NY at a moments notice for about a week. At this point it will be Thursday or Friday that we leave (probably).

My QT ended this last week and the fish have been moved into their respective tanks.

My QT tank is established and has an Aquaclear 50. I was going to hang the Aquaclear 50 off of my 75 gallon (especially since Sir Poops A Lot Pleco just moved in) but it won't fit. I don't want it on my 28 because it has 2 AquaClear 20's on it already.

So my options are to open up the 2217 Eheim and put it in. Problem is my husband is the canister maintainer and he is already in NY with his family so if I encounter problems I am in trouble.

I have no room in any of my other AquaClear Filters for extra sponges.

So I can either dose the ammo in the QT up to 4 and hope that it is enough to last while I am gone.

Or just put the sponges in something and sink them in the 75 tank while I am gone.

Since the QT tank has gone through stuff here and there and medications I would prefer to keep the filter to the QT tank it may not matter.

I do want to keep it alive if possible so I can continue to stock my tanks in the future.

OR I can get some fish and leave but that seems way too risky. LOL

Any advice? I don't mind just risking it and starting again with some seeded media but if there is a way to avoid it I would like to.

Thanks!

Add 4-5ppm of ammonia and it should be fine for a week. When my qt is empty (which is most of the time), I only dose it once or twice a week and the cycle stays put. When you return, add some more ammonia until you figure out what your doing with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom