Bio-spira and water treatments.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chipie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I will receive a bottle of Bio-Spira tomorrow and was wondering if the water treatment for the chlorine and chloramides will harm the process.

I have a choice between 3 kinds at my local pet store. Aqua Plus, Tetra safe and Stress coat.

Would any of those be ok ?

Also, i have a Tetra Whisper 20 as a filter. It has a filter with activated carbon in it . Should i take this out before i put the bio-spira in ? Should i just put a filter bag without adding the carbon in it ?

Please help me with this.
Thanks

Hi - when you add the Bio-Spira you should add your fish pretty much immediately.

Yes, you still need to treat for chlorine and chloridimides - any type will do but if you can get Prime (by Seachem) that's what most folks around here use. It only LOOKS more expensive - the amt needed per dose is much smaller than the others so its cheaper in the long run. I see that Aqua-safe includes some sort of plant oils - unnecessary. Stress Coat contains Aloe Vera - also not necessary. The only "tetra safe" I was able to find was for ponds. So if those three are the only choices you have, I'd go with the Stress Coat - but look for Prime (red and white bottle).

I don't think Carbon in the filter affects Bio-Spira but since some of the bacteria will end up settling on it (rather than the filter itself) you should remove it.

Be careful with the Bio-Spira - if it warms up it will kill the bacteria, so be prepared to test your water (if you don't have the American Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit you'll want to get one) and be prepared to do water changes if the ammonia or nitrites go above 0.5ppm

Best of luck

No, the chlorine treatment won't affect the Bio Spira.

Personally, I don't think any one dechlorinator is better than another. I simply look for one that treats chlorine and chloramines, just to be on the safe side.

The carbon won't harm the Bio Spira, but you also don't need it in your filter, either. It's good for soaking up medicines when needed, but it can also soak up water treatments that you want in the water. Even if you purchase filter pads with charcoal in them, it can easily be removed by making a small slit in the filter pad and shaking it out; takes about 30 seconds.

Be sure to store the Bio Spira in the fridge until you're ready to use it. Shake it up well and add it at the same time you add the fish and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom