Bio-Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do any of the products claiming to contain Nitrofying bacteria actually work? Bio-Spira, Biolabs Nitromax, Seachem Stability, Marineland safestart.

I would not know. I don't use any media in my SW tank just LR rubble and a Skimmer with 2 power heads for current. I think that would be the best way if your going SW. (y)

Bio Spira is now called tetra safe start and no longer needs refridgerated is what I'm told..

Bio Spira is now called tetra safe start and no longer needs refridgerated is what I'm told..
The freshwater version of Bio-Spira is Tetra Safestart.
The Salwater version is still called Bio-Spira but no longer requires refrigeration.
The original, refrigerated versions, absolutely worked and worked very well.
I have heard many negative reports on Safestart only one positive and I have heard nothing about the "New" non refrigerated saltwater Bio-Spira.

Actually I think they are all owned by the UPG (United Pet Group) with Bio-Spira now being marketed under the Instant Ocean brand. I believe Tetra, IO and Marineland are all part if UPG.

That being said, I never saw any press release or anything else explaining how the formula was radically changed to allow for non refrigeration. Which leads to wonder the following. Did it need to be before? Does it need to be now?

You don't make a major change to the product without some type of break through.

Guys i have used bio-spira in a 30 gal and 110 gal SW tanks along with live rock and live sand and saltwater from my local fish store. both tanks never went through a cycle cycle... i monitored the progress of water everyday. by the way i added freshwater mollies (2) right away. i went from 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate to after a few days 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. and then it remain steady with all readings zero after a week or so.
Never lost fish added few clarkii and anenomies and a tang within a week and all healthy and living.
Bio Spira works for sure​

i did setup a 46 gal SW tank last year with live rock and live sand with regula tap water mix with salt. No bio spira was used that tank took over a month to stable up. No i dont have the data on it but my experience with bio spira is that it does work and if u start ur tank with live rock and live sand and saltwater from a good source along with bio spira chances are u will be able to add fish within a week, Bottle claims add fish immedietly but i would recommed wait a week till u see 0 nitrite and few nitrates.
I did add mollies rightaway after setting up. they did servive. Bio spira is expensive about $18 a bottle for 30 gal tank. I get mine at suthern agriculture store in oklahoma.

Instant cycle in a bottle. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the live sand and rock. Interesting. I wonder how the nitrifying bacteria in the bottle stay alive.

Piggy backing on this thread. I've been trying to fishless cycle my tank for over a month with no nitrite readings at all. My LFS sold me some Tetra safestart and he suggested I do a huge water change to get rid of the ammonia. I have around 4 ppm in there right now.

My questions is, if this Safestart stuff is full of live bacteria, why would I need to do a WC to get rid of the ammonia? Wouldnt that only help the bottle of live bacteria I'm about to add? Please let me know your thoughts. This is my last day off in a while and I'm eager to get started but dont want to waste a 12 dollar bottle of bacteria by doing it wrong. :)

Bump. Ok, I'm tempted to just dump the bottle in the 4 ppm ammonia tonight. Though I'd try one last time to hear from anyone if this is a bad idea.

I have heard tetra safe start is similar to bio spira (shelf stabel no need for refrigerator), but i have not used it. i have definately used bio spira and for that i can say for sure it will work.
but go ahead and try dumping it in the 4ppm water and see what happens. u dont have any fish in the tank anyways so u cant kill anything.
if in few days safe start fails u can always do a water change.
i know more expensive way to go but "in the name of science" lol.

Well, I dumped the little guys in the tank last night. Tried to get it as close to my filter intake as possible. I cant wait to get home today and see if the readings show anything! I'll post the results in case anyone else ever gets in this boat again.

Yah please let us know i am curious about ur results.
i have never used safe start but i have used bio spira (it works make sure its fresh though) and i am wondering if safe start works.

I can vouch for Seachem Stability. I had been cycling my tank with fish and it was taking almost five weeks, I was just barley beginning to get nitrites. I started using Stability and was completely cycled within the week.

Hmm. Not sure how do read the results. The ammonia was between 2 and 4 when I put in the safestart. Its still at 2-4, nitrites are still zero, but nitrates are at 5. I suppose the 5 could be from the bottle? I never bothered testing the nitrates before since I've never seen nitrites. Any thoughts?

nitrates are final stage of breaking of ammonia.
so i am sure u had nitrates in ur water unless u have a very efficient nitrate reductor.
after 24 hrs ammonia level still same does suggest that safe start doesnt not work as quick as it suggests if at all.
i am very happy with bio spira's results personally.
quick question: isnt safe start for freshwater only? or does the bottle say saltwater on it too?

na, just freshwater. To be fair, I think something is preventing my tank from cycling which might also prevent the safestart from working. Its been well over a month with no results. I'm going to just do a big waterchange over the weekend and try to cycle with fish.
You're all witnesses! I tried to do it the right way first :).

Back
Top Bottom