Biocube 14 Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys-

I'm a planted tank guy, and deal with high tech planted tanks. I want to step into the reef side of things for a little mix up. I know people say that starting with a nano is a bad idea, but I have a budget because I'm a teenager. I will be religious with waterchanges, and all the upkeep. I've been reading a lot for the last month. Just some quick questions-

With the biocides stock PC lighting what corals would I be able to keep?

I'm thinking 2 fish..3 MAX?

I'm sure more questions will arise once things get going here in the next couple months.

Go with low light corals and you should be good. Mushrooms would be really good choices and are available in many colors. You could also try some zoas and see how they do.

Under the stock PCs u can do soft coral(maybe some of the easy leathers). And some lps. I doubt they will grow any sps. Maybe montipora but that would be pushing it. I would suggest you upgrade to either a retrofit kit or retrofit a taotronics Tt-al12 into your hood. I have a Tt-al12 over my biocube29 hqi model and I have everything from mushrooms to acropora.

I tried a monti just to see in my nano under pcs I had it at the very top and still was no good so I would stear clear of sps corals under pcs..

I have a jbj 6 gallon with an 18 watt combo pc. Near the top I placed I piece of a broken encrusting montipora that is thriving. It has grown well over the past couple months, however is within three inches or do of the light. It's growth has exceeded any of my lps corals, and looks better than the piece in my friends tank with LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom