Biocube 29g; refugium in first chamber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katys410

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! After a several month period of a break from any tank upgrades due to an electrical problem and just being plain busy, I have finally gotten back on board!
The biocube has been up for about 2 years now, though the stock is bare minimum- a pair of clowns and a bicolor dottyback.
Now onto the question.
I'm having a nitrate issue. I'd rather not remove the bioballs, so I'm looking elsewhere. Throughout the past 2 weeks or so I have been doing every other day water changes (larger ones; 30%-50% and have made progress from nitrates above 160 ppm to my current level (which I had tested last night after a water change; not sure about now) of around.. 30 ppm, closer to 20?
How would I go about reducing these nitrates more, aside from water changes, of course, like this for another week or so?
I was thinking a liquid nitrate reducer (although I don't have a skimmer), more live rock, and... a refugium in the first chamber, as to not interfere with the bioballs!
How would I go about doing this? I was planning on keeping chaeto, unless anyone else has input!

Once the nitrates are back at hand, I plan to stick to more aggressive/quicker fish (since that dottyback is MEAN, man! he also killed my blood shrimp!) such as damsels, a possible pistol shrimp/goby pair, wrasses, or a valenti puffer? And then cleaning crew, corals, etc.

Other question- how long should I wait until the nitrates have reduced to stock up my cleaning crew/possible fish again?

To summarize- how would I set up a refugium in the first chamber of my biocube (not the second!)/lower nitrates more and the previous question in regards to fish.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have at least 1 and a half lbs of live rock in your tank?Your bio load isn't that much to be creating that high a nitrate number.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have at least 1 and a half lbs of live rock in your tank?Your bio load isn't that much to be creating that high a nitrate number.

Yes, I do. Approximately 9 pounds. I hadn't been doing my usually bi-weekly water changes for about 4 months, so I'd think that was what caused the spike.

Sorry I meant one and a half lbs. per gallon.Also bio- balls are the worst.

Sorry I meant one and a half lbs. per gallon.Also bio- balls are the worst.

Ah. I have 9 lbs in all. could that be the issue? I also boiled most of my rock about a year ago due to a huge green hair algae problem as a last resort.

As for the bio-balls. What should I now do? I don't want to get rid of any established bacteria, and they are rather great at turning ammonia into nitrite.

One more thing- am I doing this correctly, as in, should I quote a post every time I'm responding? Thanks!

You definitely need to add more rock,not live,just base rock and it will become live quickly.Replace the bio balls with Chem-pure elite would be a great start.Need some others who have your type tank to chime in,since I'm not familiar with the setup as far as compartments and etc.They could tell you better what to do as far as the filtration.Don't remove the bio balls until you get the one and a half lbs. per gallon of total rock in.

You definitely need to add more rock,not live,just base rock and it will become live quickly.Replace the bio balls with Chem-pure elite would be a great start.Need some others who have your type tank to chime in,since I'm not familiar with the setup as far as compartments and etc.They could tell you better what to do as far as the filtration.Don't remove the bio balls until you get the one and a half lbs. per gallon of total rock in.

As for the bio balls, where would I keep the media? And back onto my original question in regards to the refugium?
Do you mean the inTank media baskets?

Once you get the needed amount of rock you could run Chem-Pur elite in the media basket in place of the bio balls .Don't know about the refuge part with your tank.

alright, thank you!

Add another 20 or 25 pounds of rock. Pull out a dozen bio balls at a time once per week. Also the center chamber is a bit small to be a functioning refugium. Of course it helps but I don't think it will be the solution

Add another 20 or 25 pounds of rock. Pull out a dozen bio balls at a time once per week. Also the center chamber is a bit small to be a functioning refugium. Of course it helps but I don't think it will be the solution

yes, okay. what would I replace the bio balls with?

If you were going to use it as a refugium just use live rock rubble and a ball of chaeto

Contained where? In the inTank media refugium basket thingy?

Ah, okay. If the live rock would accomplish the same as the bio balls, then what would be the point of changing it?
Also, how soon would one recommend adding more fish/inverts after this whole nitrate disaster is back in line?

I may have the details wrong but the difference between live rock and bio balls is this. My eyeballs do an awesome job of controlling ammonia. However they do not have an anaerobic area so the cycle ends there. Live rock takes care of the entire nitrogen cycle. You will often hear bio balls referred to as a nitrate sink or trap

I may have the details wrong but the difference between live rock and bio balls is this. My eyeballs do an awesome job of controlling ammonia. However they do not have an anaerobic area so the cycle ends there. Live rock takes care of the entire nitrogen cycle. You will often hear bio balls referred to as a nitrate sink or trap

Yes, I have heard people refer to them as that.
Would there be anything else I could do to reduce nitrates even more?

Back
Top Bottom