Biocube lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions for how long we should leave the lights on in our tank? We have 3 small corals, 2 clowns, one six line and a blood red fire shrimp. We have been getting a lot of algae growth over the last 2-3 days. What's considered appropriate lighting?

When I had the stock lighting for my bio cube I had the actinic come on at 8am them daylights at 10am. Daylights off at 7pm and actinic off at midnight. Total darkness until cycle would start over.

Not sure if that's a "right" light schedule but that's what I had non the less. Never had algae issues.

Have you tested your water? Phosphates? What type of algae are you getting?

We are getting green algae although some spots look orange or brown. I'm not sure if we have checked specifically for phosphates. We are new to this and might be without knowing so excuse my stupidity. We use the 5 in 1 test kit and ammonia kit.

I would get at the least the API saltwater test kit. Now there's 2 kits. One for saltwater and one for reefs. What is your tank stocked with?

Could be phosphates. I'm not a professional but I do have a BC29 that's been up for 9 months with no algae issues (knock on wood)

Back
Top Bottom