Bioload question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magoop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently lost my favorite jerk of a snail nerite (loved to hang out right above the waterline so it was sometimes a bigger to find him to do a head count) and got a few horned nerites to replace them in my ten gallon brackish. These are significantly smaller than the previous one. So I'm probably going to have at least 3 for a while.
Main question, how big of a bioload will these guys be? I recall reading ghost shrimp will eat snail poop, and I currently have 3 gs as well. And from what I found on ghost shrimp seems to be that they have a low bioload as well, at least as long as there is not too many.
Would I be fine with my 3 snail to get shrimp configuration or should I cut back on the nerites?
Randomly wondering, can the horned variety breed with the none-horned variety? I know eggs can be a problem but I'm not too worried about that atm.
And I would also assume trumpet/Malaysian Live- bearing snails would also have the same bioload as the nerites? I understand they (trumpets) breed like crazy, but I'm more putting them in the aquarium with just the crayfish as they are a bit easier for the one-clawed David Andersen to catch, are free from work, clean the tank, and are not as big on bioload as the feeder fish

Sent from my VS880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally after watching snails on a bare bottom tank I find they are pooping machines. Much more than I thought, so now I've probably dropped my snail stocking by a third on what I think I can do.

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep an eye on my levels.

Hunting around for a replacement ramshorn myself. Usually I can spot them in tanks with plants for sale and get one or two for free. (And then go off and buy more stuff anyways :) ).

Hunting around for a replacement ramshorn myself. Usually I can spot them in tanks with plants for sale and get one or two for free. (And then go off and buy more stuff anyways :) ).

Pretty happy with my wee little horned nerites, they are fun to watch zoom around.
I was more concerned about the Malaysian live bearers, as I know they reproduce like crazy, but it was the only thing I can think of that would not only clean the crawdads tank but also feed him and was easier than a minnow to snag.

Back
Top Bottom