Biospira Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

SixFootDaisy

Today I made my dad drive me to a lfs that is an hour away. So I guess it isnt local. I hate driving long distances, so I made him :)

I purchased BS, and left with it wrapped in ice for the drive home.

At 7:15 I put the biospira in the tank. And just for fun I am going to test my water.

As most of you know I am completely fed up with my tank, the ammonia levels will not go down, but my other levels are perfect. [Ammonia states 6.0-7.0]

If this stuff does not work, I am seriously considering tearing down my tank and never doing the fish thing again.

So, I am going to test my ammonia, like I said just for fun.
Im glad I did that just for fun, because my ammonia is higher than before. It has only been in for half an hour. So I didn't expect miracles. And I KNOW it does not work that fast, like I said [for the millionth time] I did it for FUN.

I will test it tomorrow morning and post my results.

Bio-Spira

Hi...My dad also drove me to a store that has Bio-Spira today, and it was about an hour away too!! He didn't have to take me, but he and my mom used to live in that neighborhood, and they just wanted to go down and drive by their old house!!

I brought the Bio-Spira home in an insulated lunch bag with a cold pack in there too. Now it's in the frig. I haven't added to the tank yet because there's medicine in there now. I'll have to put new carbon in before adding the Bio-Spira.

I got the one-ounce pouch. I hope it keeps in the frig ok! I won't be using the whole pack at once.

I will look for your post tomorrow on how it worked out! I know it's frustrating when you try so hard and your tank's parameters are still bad. We probably all know that feeling. But you're doing the best you possibly can!! Hang in there!

I'm severely allergic to all the other pets in the stores, and it didn't help that as I was trying to pay for the Bio-Spira, there were 2 dogs hanging around the cash register. But I put the health of my fish before my own health!!

Good job! I hope it works for you :)

Day 2 of Biospira

Water tested at 4:30 a.m. [I have to get up this early, so this was not for fun!]

Ammonia still outrageously high. [8.0] Though I have now figured out the problem with a couple of my buddies on Aquarium Advice. I dumped way too much amquel in my tank when I set it up. I somehow momentarily became an idiot and thought it said 1 tsp per gallon. Yeah, and so that is where my "ammonia" is coming from.

But alas! THe Biospira must be doing SOMETHING! My ITES raised to about 3.0 [They have been 0 for quite some time now] and my ATES raised as well. [they were 0-20]

Is there hope left?

I believe that if my ITES and ATES drop, then I am going to assume there is no ammonia. Only because I feel like I can.

I want to say a special thanks to Aaron and Officer Kevin [;)] for helping me last night.

Also my 'special thanks' goes to Lori, and Gordon too!

Now where is my award?

Here it is....
bigpoof.gif

schild86.gif

With your nitrites at 3 i would do water test when you get home from school and also maybe prepair for a water change.

Your logic about the nitrites going down to 0 being a sign of no or low levels of acutal ammonia.

I came home, tested....

Ates - still 3.0

Ammonia- 8.0

Did a 10% water change....

Bio-Spira

Hi SixFootDaisy,
Are your nitrAtes or Ites at 3.0? If it's Ites, try adding 1 teaspoon per gallon of aquarium salt to help lower the Ites, along with the 10% water changes like you've been doing. You could probably do up to a 25% water change too to help drop the ammonia levels. If you do your water change without disturbing the gravel or filter, then you shouldn't disturb the Bio-Spira. As the ammonia peaks and drops, the Ites will rise (and fall), then the nitrAtes appear. If you're getting some Ates, then your tank is cycling! Ates should be kept below 40 ppm. Ates can be lowered by a 10 or 20% water change, depending on how high they are. Keep us posted!

P.S. Thanks for the kudos!! :D

Bio-Spira

Hi SixFootDaisy,
Just wondering how things are going with the Bio-Spira -- do you think it's kicking in yet? Are your ammonia levels dropping?

Sixfootdaisy, I was wondering if you have a cat.

I had a huge problem with ammonia for awhile ago. I had moved my tank, but before I had moved it I never had a problem with ammonia. When it was moved (where I moved I had very very little space, a bedroom and a bathroom) the tank was place right next to my cats litterbox. Well the litterbox was in the closet but it was 2 ft away. My ammonia level was like 6.0 everyday. I was doing huge water changes and I lost lots of fish. I ended up buying a product called Sweet PDZ, it gets rid of the ammonia in the box. I don't know if this is your problem but I felt the need to share! Hope it helps someone! :)

Hey Six, I think I have found the problem! I used Bio-Spira myslef in my tank I was cycling using my 3 zebra danios. I added the Bio-Spira two weeks ago and stocked my tank to full capacity not ten minutes later. I have had great results!

This is the thing though, you can't add Bio-Spira with certain other products because they will "kill" the bacteria in the package. Also, if you don't add a full load of fish right after you add the bacteria then the bacteria have nothing to feed on. Just like the fishy cycle. This was stuff I had to research hard on before I finally took the jump and did the Bio-Spira thing because I was afraid the hype was a bunch of baloney.

Now I have a happy tank with happy fish and I owe it all to the Bio-Spira. So, I think I'd like to offer a suggestion. If I were you, I'd dump that tank and start over. (I know that will be hard to do.) I would dechlorionate using the Bio-Spira partner it suggests on the package. Then I would let the tank filter, etc run for 48 hours. Then, add Bio-Spira and fish all in same day.

I know that sounds like alot and sounds risky, but me and several others have had great results. Good Luck! :D

When I used Bio-Spira it was in the middle of a fishless cycle. Ammonia was 0, nitrItes were between 5-10 ppm, nitrates around 10. Did a BIG water change, added the Bio-Spira, waited overnite cause I wanted it to work on the nitrites and settle into the filter (although this is NOT the recommended way to use it), and the next day added the fishies. No problems whatsoever.

I must be jinxed. Because it just isn't working for me.

I am truly fed up with my tank. I wish I never spent as much money on it as I did, because I just want to give it away.

Isn't Bio-Spira designed to be used on a NEW tank? Set up fresh, new tank, pour in Bio-Spira, introduce your full load of fish. I think that you're going to have issues if the tank has already tried establishing itself. :(

I'll be down in the city Saturday 6foot. You give up, and I'm going to stop by and slap you with a wet catfish *grin*

The Bio-Spira IS working. Those nitrite level changes show it. Don't forget, if you dumped all that Amquel in, and I get the impression you've done small water changes, theres prob still a ton in there. You might want to get a salicyte test (like Aquarium Pharmecueticals seawater/freshwater test) to see what the TRUE deadly ammonia levels are. Don't forget most ammonia tests are Nessler and can't tell the difference between converted ammonia (which the Amquel changed) and the deadly unconverted. From what I've read (obviously not scientifically confirmed) converted ammonia is not taken up well by the nitrifying bacteria. That's probably whats slowed things down as well. Just for future reference? Don't even use ammonia converters except in cases of emergency or QT tanks.

Do you have any Bio-Spira left? When I did my "experiment" I only used half of the package. If so, maybe doing a HUGE water change (like 80-90% if there is no fish in there), adding our fish and the rest of the Bio-Spira should get things rolling properly.

Btw, what IS your ammonia source? I didn't see it in this post and I don't remember.

I have fish in my tank.

I have had fish in my tank.

I have never not had fish in my tank.

I do not believe I have real ammonia. Using Bio-Spira was a suggestion to me, and that is what I did. I added the entire package.

I had done one small water change since the introduction of the product into my tank. What confuses me is that I get so much different advice, I try it all and my tank suffers the consequences. So not only do I get frustrated, I feel like a fish abuser.

I was new into the aquarium hobby and I didn't know I had to wait for the #$%%^$# Cycle to happen. So I buy a tank, get some fish, overstock. You know, the typical newbie thing. :oops:

I did lose a lot of fish in the beginning, so I researched found this place and realized all my mistakes.

And then, at one point my Ites were at 0, Ates were at 0-20. Ammonia was still soaring.

My argument was, If those levels are where they should be the ammonia HAS to be 0. My fish are not stressed, not gulping or gasping, they swim peacefully. Also the amquel incident.

Im sure it will all work out in the end.

Bio-Spira

Hi SixFootDaisy,
What confuses me is that I get so much different advice, I try it all and my tank suffers the consequences. So not only do I get frustrated, I feel like a fish abuser.

Oh, I hear ya...Just before I set up this tank for my bettas, I called a pet store to see if they had all the stuff that I wanted. I have a severe allergy to all the other pets in the store and just wanted to get everything quickly all at once. Well, then they started telling me something totally different. I did set it up the way I wanted to, and one betta is fine. The other has had fin and tail rot almost constantly since I got him. I try so hard: I medicate him, I've tried many different meds, then I think I'm overmedicating, then I think it's a food problem maybe, then I make sure to keep the water very clean, all the while second-guessing myself as to why this is happening. I've had my bettas for a year and a half, and I guess I did something right to keep them alive this long, but in all that time, I've still wondered why this one fish has had constant problems, and I feel like a fish abuser too -- if there are fish police, I'll be the first one they take away and lock up. :cry:

I was new into the aquarium hobby and I didn't know I had to wait for the #$%%^$# Cycle to happen. So I buy a tank, get some fish, overstock. You know, the typical newbie thing.

Shame on the store, NOT you. At least when I bought my second betta, the store had a little printout to explain the cycle some.

You are here at this website -- it shows that you care about your fish to spend time online to research and ask questions! I think the Bio-Spira is working too -- and your fish are not showing signs of stress. So hang in there! I think it will all work out in the end too!

*hugs 6foot*

Despite all the confusion, it sounds like your fishies are doing FINE. We've all had bumps to go thru (my latest is the hubby using the water pitcher from the 55g tank with ich in the 10g tank that will now HAVE ich...my poor lil gouramis *sigh* I'm just waiting for it to show up). You are doing an outstanding job whether you believe it or not. I'm sending some kudos your way; you deserve em.

I'm betting at this point there is only converted ammonia in the tank. I'm quite sure that's what the test u have is measuring. You might want to get that salicyte test to double check, or bring it into a lfs and have them do it, just to ease your mind. If u go that route, tell them not to use a Nessler test. If they don't know what you mean, run LOL

And I just wasn't sure bout the fishies in the tank....figured I'd better double check :)

I think the blackout added stress to my guys. So I am going to leave their light off and hope they are okay.

Five hours with no filtration, no bubble wall.... My poor guys.

I did test the water when I had some light last night, my Ites test was about 1.0!!!!!

GOOD NEWS!! Haha

My local petstore is petsmart, they use the jungle lab dip tests.

Well, I will be home today, and you [Allivymar]wont be coming to Manhattan because parts of it still have no power!

Thank you all for your help.

I will keep you posted!!!!!

[I will be checking my water later on when my fishfaces relax a little.

6foot!

Ack. If you haven't yet, and you still have no electricity, you have GOT to get some water movement on the surface of your tank!! Grab a pitcher or something and start pouring water in and out of the tank. Make sure you pour some on the filter and the bio-wheel if you have one so your bactrial colonies stay alive.

Spent 4 hrs yesterday pouring water in n out of my tanks *sigh* and only the day before someone told me about battery operated aerators. She must be psychic. I know of people here in Westchester with SW tanks who are away and have NOT had electricity since it all went out. Those poor fishies.

I'm HOPING you have electricity now, but I'll PM you and see if your email addy is up to let you know as well.

Back
Top Bottom