Birthday fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
My family surprised me with 6 new fish for my 65gal! So now my stock is:
2-yellow labs
2-kimpumas
2-electric blues
3-rosaline sharks
2-blood parrots
1-blue dragon goby
1-red tailed shark
1-synodontis catfish
1-clown pleco
1-flash pleco
The first 6 on the list are the "new guys". I have to admit it's the first time I've kept cichlids of this kind. I've had oscars, jds, parrots, and recently (in a different tank discus) the "African" cichlids are new to me and any advice is appreciated.
They were purchased in pairs boy-girl and I've been feeding that tank blood worms,shrimp,flake and pellets. I read up on them a bit and it says no protein? Malawi bloat? Now I'm worried because my dragon fish loves his blood worms and shrimp. Would the new ones be ok with a little bit of blood worms& shrimp?

Blood worms and shrimp are ok as an occasional treat but too much protein can lead to bloat. For flakes and pellets, read the label.......you want the protein to be less then 40%.

Regarding the fish, it is normally recommended to have 4 females for every 1 male. With only 1 female, when the male matures he could be relentless in his attempts to mate which could be too much for the female. Having multiple females helps.

Thank you for the birthday wishes and for the info on the food :) I'll be checking my labels. As for the fish, should I be getting more females? Or are the three I have going to be enough to curve the males..um..drive? ;-) I don't want to over load the tank it is on the small side for these types of fish isn't it?

I've been trying to get some with my phone but the buggers are too fast! Lol! I'm patient I'll get them eventually. :)

Regarding the male to female, the ratio is for each type of fish. So for example, if you have a male yellow lab you should have 3 or 4 females for a total of 4 or 5 yellow labs. I think you could add another 5 fish or do to your tank but I'll let others chime in. I'm also not familiar with some of our stock so I'm a little concerned about comparability. For instance, not sure how the rosaline shark will do with mbuna's. But I'm not familiar with them so again, let others chime in ;)

So far the only concerns I have with comparability is with my parrots they've gone into hiding and only come out to feed. Also with the diet restrictions I was afraid for my dragon. The rosalines are super fast and the one female electric blue has started schooling with them. It's really neat to see. They're around 2" some 3" right now. When do you think the aggression over the ladies might come out? Just looking at a timeline for getting more girls in there.

A lot of the aggression in mbuna's start when they mature, I want to say close to 3" but that can differ with various fish.

My anniversary is August, think I'll be good until then? That's probably when I can get my husband to agree to buying more fish again. Lol!

Happy birthday but now you are mixing Africans with SA. Perhaps you should think about bringing those back for ones that will work for you.

Malawi Freak said:
Happy birthday but now you are mixing Africans with SA. Perhaps you should think about bringing those back for ones that will work for you.

Thanks for the birthday wishes :)
I find your statement to be a little vague? Which ones do you think I should taking back? And why? I was told they are all Africans and when I googled them the info I got was that they were good together. Even looking in the "members tanks" there are tanks that have the same fish? If you could be more specific and give more details? It would be appreciated :)

Labenator65000 said:
Happy birthday fellow pisces! (fitting for an aquariest)

Lol! I never put the two together before, too funny! Thank you, you said "fellow" does that mean birthday wishes are in your order too? If so, happy birthday to you too! :)

Mlani said:
Lol! I never put the two together before, too funny! Thank you, you said "fellow" does that mean birthday wishes are in your order too? If so, happy birthday to you too! :)

It's today, as a matter of fact. Thanks!

Awesome! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fantastic day! I see you have a yellow lab as your profile pic, do you keep them as well?

Mlani said:
Awesome! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fantastic day! I see you have a yellow lab as your profile pic, do you keep them as well?

Yes, I have 5 of them. They coexist with a few other assorted peaceful Malawis. The labs are my favorites by far. Enjoy!

I took some pics today. The quality isn't that great and in some they're blurry. They're fast fish. Lol!

Attachments

• image-3544341374.jpg
    image-3544341374.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-890413472.jpg
    image-890413472.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3579180404.jpg
    image-3579180404.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2507079031.jpg
    image-2507079031.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1903763973.jpg
    image-1903763973.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2305405244.jpg
    image-2305405244.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2399349670.jpg
    image-2399349670.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 98
Thanks. I was thinking of you when I posted them, cause you asked for some. ;-) I want to add more plants and build up the stones so there's more hiding spots. I'm just waiting to let them settle in a little first. I don't want to stress them out even more..just yet.

Back
Top Bottom