Bit of of a Dilemma Here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's the situation.

As some of you know, I am cycling my 45 gal.

I need a mating pair of Bolivian rams, and I have had a hard time finding them. I just called a petsmart, and they claimed to have a mating pair!!! :dance: They say they are swimming together and of opposite sex...

But my 45 gal's not done cyclin'!

In my 10 gallon, I have 1 danio, 8 neon tetras, and 10 guppy fry. I just bought 4 tetras yesterday, huge mistake... :banghead: If only I had known! Can I still put them inside? (The pair.) Aqadvisor says my filtration is at 80%... Stocking 134..

Is there any way I can maybe temporarily move some of them? Maybe I can somehow direct some of the flow of the filter to a separate bowl or something?

If anyone knows any fish breeders that would work too. I live in Georgia. Thanks! :thanks:

I think it should be fine temporarily in the 10g. Just stay on top of parameters and give it a 20-30% water change every few days. Shouldn't have any problems until your bigger tank is cycled.

If your 10 gallon is cycled why not move your media to your bigger tank? Then move the fish to the big tank. It should cycle pretty quick. Then add your rams. When you're ready, move some of the media back to the 10 and cycle it again. Shouldn't take long as you transferred media. Then move the fish back to the 10.

If your 10 gallon is cycled why not move your media to your bigger tank? Then move the fish to the big tank. It should cycle pretty quick. Then add your rams. When you're ready, move some of the media back to the 10 and cycle it again. Shouldn't take long as you transferred media. Then move the fish back to the 10.

I have seed material, I put a plastic bag full of gravel in my canister filter. It has holes in it :p
Nitrites OTC, nitrates OTC. Ammonia steadily dropping, already hit 0 multiple times. Waiting for them nitrites xP

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

What might happen, is my tank will cycle overnight. I can add my neon tetras to new tank (temp) and put rams in old. Rams need an established tank, no?

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I have seed material, I put a plastic bag full of gravel in my canister filter. It has holes in it :p
Nitrites OTC, nitrates OTC. Ammonia steadily dropping, already hit 0 multiple times. Waiting for them nitrites xP

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Why on earth would you do that ??

But in a plastic bag ? And if you have space for that, why not just use bio media in a mesh bag ?

A ziploc one? I don't want to ask my mum for pantyhose xD. Am I doing something wrong? My 10 gallon filter has not biomedia, just a filter pad and course sponge. It's kinda cruddy.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I'd just be patient personally. There will be other rams in the future.

A ziploc one? I don't want to ask my mum for pantyhose xD. Am I doing something wrong? My 10 gallon filter has not biomedia, just a filter pad and course sponge. It's kinda cruddy.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Plastic is a contaminant and pollutant. And I'm quite certain the long term effects (as seen in the oceans of our world) would have some big consequences. Why don't you ask your mom for ten bucks, go to your LFS and get the right stuff ?

Plastic is a contaminant and pollutant. And I'm quite certain the long term effects (as seen in the oceans of our world) would have some big consequences. Why don't you ask your mom for ten bucks, go to your LFS and get the right stuff ?

Plastic isnt all that bad. Why would they make filters and powerheads from the stuff?

What might happen, is my tank will cycle overnight. I can add my neon tetras to new tank (temp) and put rams in old. Rams need an established tank, no?

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Yes Rams are very sensitive. I think you should cycle your tank then wait at least 3 months before adding any ram

Plastic isnt all that bad. Why would they make filters and powerheads from the stuff?

True. But I believe your referring to hard molded plastic where as I'm talking about the ziploc bag he punched holes into. It's not very clear if they've been made with nice sharp object and clean cuts or a dull object and has the potential for prices floating around that one or more fishes can ingest. That's the point I was trying to make as I pointed out in a later post about getting the right product to do the job correctly. That's all.

True. But I believe your referring to hard molded plastic where as I'm talking about the ziploc bag he punched holes into. It's not very clear if they've been made with nice sharp object and clean cuts or a dull object and has the potential for prices floating around that one or more fishes can ingest. That's the point I was trying to make as I pointed out in a later post about getting the right product to do the job correctly. That's all.

I wasnt having a dig. I just dont think theres much of a risk. Even with little bits of ziplock bag

Look Into the amounts of tiny plastic beads in the Great Lakes.. By all rights should devastate the ecosystem... Yet life goes on.. Just saying.. I can't see a ziplock bag doing all that much damage short term?? If left for years ?!? Who knows..

Look Into the amounts of tiny plastic beads in the Great Lakes.. By all rights should devastate the ecosystem... Yet life goes on.. Just saying.. I can't see a ziplock bag doing all that much damage short term?? If left for years ?!? Who knows..

I'm planning on taking it out 2 weeks after my tank has cycled, to prevent mini-cycles.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I'm planning on taking it out 2 weeks after my tank has cycled, to prevent mini-cycles. Cycling 45 Gallon. cdf0addc20cdf0a
just take all the stuff out if your cycled filter and shake it/swish it/squeeze it into your new tank! It will help..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom