black algea good or bad ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
is it good it has been growing very fast if it not dangerous that would lessen my concern much thank you. ive tried to scrape it off and cant win the battle please help:banghead::banghead::banghead:

yea if its fine i dont matter but its kinda got me a bit worried

I just did a google search and found some interesting information.
Nothing on "black" algea, but perhaps brown falls under the category. Usually it's just diatoms, caused by lack of light or an excess of silicates. Easily removed with a swipe of a cloth.
If your still concerned maybe think about getting aloha eaters?
Otocinclus are my faves, 'sup you to.

I'm guessing this refers to BBA. It's not harmful to your fish, just unsightly. Nothing to worry about other than for aesthetic purposes. :)

How big is the tank? You can use Hydrogen Peroxide to spot treat it. Use a syringe and apply 5-10ml(depending on size of tank) at a time directly on the algae. Continue to do this daily until you see it turning white/grey.

Do you have a planted tank? BBA usually comes from a lighting or co2 level that's changing constantly. If you don't watch it carefully it can go to cover your tank. Google search Black Beard Algae

What I have done in my two tanks is to make sure the front of the tank is clean by scrubbing with a pad but let the sides get covered up...it gives them privacy and my snails and shrimp like the algae...

Back
Top Bottom