Black beard algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathandohnt

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is BBA caused from. When I bought some java fern from a fish place it was all over the leaves an stuff. I managed to get it off but it grows on the roots from time to time. What do I do to get rid of it. Or is it good for ferns ??

Sure it is bba? Can you take a picture? Java will often have black spots when it is reproducing, and the roots will be black/brown and fuzzy

Looks like normal java fern roots too me, anyways bba is typically cause because of an imbalance of light, frets, and co2

It is BBA the fish always try and eat it. And I'm always sucking it up when I vacuum the substrate

That is bba on the roots. If you have enough water circulation at the substrate then bba will occur there as well.

The good news is, you say you have fish eating bba??? Cool!
I'm aware of only 2 fish, my mollies and SAE'S

it was growing on the leaves when i bought the plants but not anymore only one the root. and yeah my guppies and balloon mollies have a go at eating it. is it safe for them to eat?

Yes it's safe for them to eat, it's just rare they are eating it. You can also spot treat BBA with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide. Just pull up 2-3ml of Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide for every 10 gallons of tank water in a needless syringe and slowly squirt the BBA. If using Peroxide turn your filter and lights off for 15-20 minutes during treatment. The BBA will start dying off within 24 hours.

It is odd for fish to eat bba. My sae and a few mollies will but not to the extent that it makes a difference.
Did you ever scrape that stuff off and smell it? Nasty,nasty ... I wouldn't wanna eat it either.

Back
Top Bottom