Black beard algea help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moenaise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank up and running for almost a year and haven't had any major issues until now. I'm pretty sure there is black beard algea starting in my tank and want to get at it before it gets to bad. I noticed it a few days ago and did some research so I figured I would ask what people have done. So far I have cut some of the plants out that had the algea on them. I have heard to hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and flourish excel. Do these methods work? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 81
I have heard to hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and flourish excel. Do these methods work?

Yes, both those will kill BBA (I've used them myself on other algae), but they won't address the root of the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Florida Flagfish and true Siamese algae eaters both eat BBA: they're among the few animals that do so.

There's a good article on algae at the link below, too:
http://www.bubblesaquarium.com/images/home mid_photo/Article on Algae/freshwater_algae.htm

I have had my tank up and running for almost a year and haven't had any major issues until now. I'm pretty sure there is black beard algea starting in my tank and want to get at it before it gets to bad. I noticed it a few days ago and did some research so I figured I would ask what people have done. So far I have cut some of the plants out that had the algea on them. I have heard to hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and flourish excel. Do these methods work? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure what causes BBA. There are many assumptions though.

High dissolved organics, low flow, low oxygen, too much light etc. Generally speaking, algae only attaches to plants that are not 100% healthy. Healthy plants should be able to resist algae infestation. Sometimes though it is only the older leaves that are affected. If the rest of the plant is algae free then it's normal to have algae develop on the older leaves. In this case the plant may decide not to direct anymore energy towards that leaf and as a result the leaf becomes a good substrate for algae. The leaf just needs pruning and the plant as a whole trimming and replanting.

Also new plants can be subject to algae as they adapt to their new environment.

If the algae is on new growth and the plants have been there for a while it maybe time to start looking at your system as a whole.

Tell us everything about your tank from lighting to stock, filtration, nutrients, co2, water changes, plants etc.

A picture may also help.

Excel and h2o2 will kill the algae. You can apply them direct but someone who has used the h2o2 method before may have to help here because I have never attempted that. These are not cures though. You need to find cause and I think you have come to the right place.

Lowering the intensity of your lighting is a good idea whilst we find out exactly what is going on.

Edit: sorry didn't see the picture.

Dosing excel directly on it works a treat. It eventually goes white and either falls off or gets eaten by the clean up crew.

However be prepared for a pretty hard battle. My BBA got introduced by DIY co2 fluctuations about 4-5 months ago (maybe longer) and I still can't shake it.

To be successful you will first need to fine the root cause like caliban said.

Spot dose all spots with excel and trim and remove any effected leaves. If there is any growing on the substrate then remove the gravel the algae is attached to.
Frequent water changes will help remove any free floating spores after removing leaves etc.

Co2 won't kill it I've found out (the main thing people suggest cause BBA).

How long have you noticed it in your tank for?

Fresh2o would be the best person to talk to as he has won the battle a few times I think.

29 gallon tank.
Current led light on for 8-10 hours daily.
Plants are ludwigia, cabomba, ctyps, and 3 others I cant remember the names of and just added 4 swords, 2 java fern, banana plant and some flame moss.
Filtration is aqueon 30 with a hydro korilia 240 pump.
Seachem Flourite.
No co2 with little dosing.
Fish are 2 blue rams, dwarf grouami, 5 neons, 2 bristle nose plecos, 2 gold barbs, 3 platties and a snail which I feed twice daily.

I had it bad. Really bad.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

I can't say really what caused it. I know the environment it was grown in and I know the environment it died off in and they were miles apart.

The environment it died in favoured plant growth and increased o2 production. The environment it grew in favoured plant decaying and o2 reduction.

Last edited:
I have been pretty good about removing dead plant and any debris that collects on the bottom. I haven't really changed to much. I keep adding plants and I have heard that sometimes that could be the cause. I have some algae killer and a product that says it removes algae ( I will get the name when I'm at home) because I had some algae in my smaller tank. I will post on how these products work. Thanks for the help!

I went through my tank and cut out and removed any plant that I saw the algea on and moved it to a different environment (large bamboo vase). I don't see much of the algea left but I am buying all of the things recommended and will continue to monitor the situation. The infected plants were mostly under my filter so I may throw a filter pad in that has carbon just to be safe. Should I remove my filter media to be safe?

Well I used some aqueon algea remover and the next day 4 dead fish. I fell as though this is a sign to not start another tank, which I already bought. Pretty bad few days for my aquarium.

Well I used some aqueon algea remover and the next day 4 dead fish. I fell as though this is a sign to not start another tank, which I already bought. Pretty bad few days for my aquarium.

I was going to confirm a previous post about the use of glutaraldehyde, Excel, or H2O2 (my tank was so bad the snails had BBA but now it's BBA free) and then I saw this post. That's unfortunate. I wonder if the product used created low oxygen conditions.

Back
Top Bottom