Black bearded algae.....arrrrrrrr!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
]So I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank running an Eheim 2215 canister filter and an Aqueon 30 quietflow. 1 coral life 54 watt T5 highoutput and 1 DDO 54 watt aqua flora,also a CO2 regulator system with 10 lb tank. (lights and co2 on timers)

the question:
I have a big fern in the middle of my tank and on some of the leaves is this hairy looking, black algae growing. It doesn't seem to be affecting the growth of the plants but it sure is an eye sore. Your thoughts about getting rid of this.

Kagochi

BBA is caused by low CO2 and/or high light intensity. A combination of upping CO2 and decreasing lights usually prevents additional growth, a spot treating with excel or hydrogen peroxide will get rid of what's left over if it won't die back.

thanks chem. I have started to dose...has been about a week or so. MAn this bearded stuff is tough. It really attaches to the leaves. should I trim back some of the heavy laced areas while I continue to dose?

I have also cut back on the lights. as of now I am about 1 bubble per second. I have about 25 community fish in the tank and plenty of plants. The co2 has been running for about 2 weeks....maybe I should increase to 2 bubbles per second?

Kagochi

increasing Co2 will help and so will amano shrimps;)

i have seen 30 amano shrimp clean a tank full of BBA in less than a week, maybe add aruond 10?

Back
Top Bottom