black beauty substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goof

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Who here has used Black beauty (coal slag blasting sand) as aquarium substrate?

I see more talk of people using black diamond on the net, but getting 1 bag of that(20-40) and 2 bags of black beauty, the black diamond is dirtier and has sharp pieces and slivers.

Not sure if diff quality and what not because local place has to do their own bagging and what not.

But anyways, who here has used black beauty? thoughts?

This will be a low tech planted take with female betas, cories, oto, snails, and some little schooling tetras.(40g long)

Thanks in advance!
-Goof

I tried it a while back and hated it. Its magnetic and scratches the glass if you use a magnetic algae cleaner.

Thanks for the reply mikem691, any other reason you hated it? Did you replace it with another black substrate? what?

I know with normal sand, containing iron is typically a bad thing, never hear of that with this (or black diamond) as it's inert, and or tied up where dissolving/leaching into water isn't a problem.(but still wanting to talk to peopel who have or are using this)

I also bought black diamond sand, as I see more people using that as aquarium substrate, but I'm not impressed. It's very dirty, sharp pieces, even giving me a few slivers from it. I haven't tested it for iron as I've written if off.

I've read some of the worst things with Tahitian Moon Sand (TMS) and being sharp and a cause of death in at least 1 fish, and source of problems with soft belly bottom feeders.

I know petsmart/petco has generic black sand, besides being costly, I don't know anything about them.

and fyi, going into a 40 long with female betas with some corries, oto, snails, and rummy noses. And various crypts and java ferns with other decor.

I have black beauty in one of my tanks. My Mag-Float doesn't pick it up at all. Any substrate will scratch glass with a magnet scrubber if you catch it between the magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, in my experience, it wasn't dirty at all. I rinsed an entire 50lb bag in 20-30 minutes and added it to the tank. Crystal clear within an hour

Also I have two pictus cats in the tank along with three cichlids and it doesn't effect anyone negatively

Flourite Black Sand
Aluminum 50.28%
Barium 0.03%
Calcium 31.43%
Cobalt 0.01%
Chromium 0.01%
Copper 0.03%
Iron 6.51%
Potassium 0.56%
Magnesium 2.80%
Manganese 0.08%
Sodium 8.23%
Nickel 0.01%
Vanadium 0.02%
Zinc 0.01%

Black beauty sand (typical)
Silicon Dioxide 48.78%
Aluminum Oxide 20.97%
Ferric Oxide 19.08% (iron rust)
Calcium Oxide 6.02%
Potassium Oxide 1.67%
Titanium Dioxide 0.94%
Magnesium Oxide 0.90%
Sodium Oxide 0.62%

Oh and how many years have you been using black beauty as a substrate?

I've been using it it for about 4 years in my 220 now, never had any problems with it. Main difference I've noticed is the mts produce completely white shells, and they show up very visibly when the empty shells collect on the surface of the substrate, lol.

So, I'm starting to use Black Beauty(coal slag), after washing the crap out of it. Moved over a sponge filter and a couple fish, etc.

In all the pics I see, I see a nice solid dark substrate, but mine isn't. Does yours have little glass/amber looking grains it it? Also, what I have does collect on magnet.

I found out the black diamond, which was very dirty, sharp, etc, is actually iron slag So I that name is used for more than coal slag. (I triple made sure the BB was coal slag)

So, I'm starting to use Black Beauty(coal slag), after washing the crap out of it. Moved over a sponge filter and a couple fish, etc.

In all the pics I see, I see a nice solid dark substrate, but mine isn't. Does yours have little glass/amber looking grains it it? Also, what I have does collect on magnet.

I found out the black diamond, which was very dirty, sharp, etc, is actually iron slag So I that name is used for more than coal slag. (I triple made sure the BB was coal slag)

Yep. That's why I got rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom