Black brush alge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieIV

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use an alge killer in my planted tank. The link about it a couple posts down just goes to a dieting page. The black brushes just came out in the last week. At this point it's only on my amazon sword leaves. Thanks for the advice.

You can spot treat it with hydrogen peroxide or excel. Shut off filters, wait for water to still, then treat it. Use a syringe to squirt the HP,or excel directly on the BBA. Let set for around 20 mins. then turn filters back on.

Watch for the BBA to turn reddish/ pinkish, that's a sign its dying. If any remains black, then retreat. It may take a few treatments to get it all.

You will want to treat a 3mls per gallon of peroxide. Turn the filters off and draw the h2o2 in to a syringe and slowly squirt it on to the bba leave the lights on so you can see what you are doing. If you have a lot you may need to treat a smaller area and then treat the next area the next day. Wait 20-30 minute and then turn the filters back on. Then do a double dose of excel or glut.

You also what caused the bba in the first place. Like how long are you running your lights? What is your phosphate level? What fertilizers are you using? Are you running co2? Do you regularly dose with glut or excel?

Is that right about the 3 mL's/gal peroxide? That works out to 165 mL's (5.5 oz.) per treatment. That seems like a lot.
I'm running the light for about 8.5 hours/day. I'm using Flourish twice weekly.
Tank parameters are

Tank parameters are: temp ~77, gH 120, kH 60, pH 7.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. I don't have a tester for phosphates yet.

You use 1 to 3ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% for every 1 gallon of tank water.

How long do you run your lighting daily? Often times running lighting too long daily is a base problem for algae. When you have algae it is recommended to only run lighting 6 hours daily until the problem is resolved.

What type lighting and bulbs are you using? What size tank? Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Are you using any ferts and if so what kind? Lastly what type plants do you have?

Is that right about the 3 mL's/gal peroxide? That works out to 165 mL's (5.5 oz.) per treatment. That seems like a lot.
I'm running the light for about 8.5 hours/day. I'm using Flourish twice weekly.
Tank parameters are
That's the max amount. You wouldn't use that much just spot treating.

Back
Top Bottom