BLACK dots on dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

The dwarf puffer site I use specifically for my DP is down so I thought this might be a common thing with other fish as well. My DP seems perfectly healthy and I don't know if its just his natural adult look (since I got him as a juvy) but he has developed very tiny black dots along the upper portion of his body. It looks like I took a very VERY fine black marker and just dotted him around the face, top of his head, and back. There are no visible dots on his white belly, and as mentioned he seems completely fine.

I only just noticed it because I had my face right up to the glass and he came within an inch of the glass himself.

I'm wondering if this is some form of parasite/disease or just natural coloration.

The dots do not appear to be raised but to be honest they are so small (as is the puffer) that I can't be sure. The only odd thing is my live plants (anubias) seem to also have some black dots on them in certain places (rhizome, and some leaves).

I have not seen the puffer flash or show any discomfort and as mentioned since he is fed live snails his appetite remains unchanged (voracious as always). No sunken belly, but my puffer is a mystery pooper, I've never seen him do it, he'll have a big belly after a meal and then suddenly be back to normal size...

This is my tank at work and so I keep it well maintained with 50% PWC's per week, and as mentioned it is moderately/heavily stocked with live anubias and some christmas moss.

Basically I've spent some time looking through disease charts/descriptions and nothing has jumped out at me. I would say it looks closest in appearance to Ich but as mentioned its black and doesn't appear raised, and the puffer has not outward signs of agitation/discomfort.

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: I thought of getting some Melafix/Pimafix to safely try to treat either bacterial/fungal issues, but I don't really like to willy nilly medicate my tanks, regardless of whether the drug is "natural".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom