Black eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
My husband picked up a couple new goldfish for me tonight. When he brought them to me I noticed that one of them has a completely black eye. The other eye is perfectly normal. He said he didn't notice the black eye when he picked the fish. Could the eye have been damaged during netting or transport? Or is there a health issue that causes this?

Help???:ermm:

Can you post a pic? I am not sure what you mean by a black eye. The pupil, the iris, the entire eyeball, the outside of the eye? Are their any injuries? Is it bloody or swollen? What type of goldfish & what color is the fish itself? Some more info will help!

It is not swollen or bloody. It is a Ryukin goldfish. The fish seems very active and is already bossing the other fish around. It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish. I was doing some reading and some people say they have fish with the same thing and that it is a birth defect?

Here is a pic. The eye looks puffed in the picture but when I look at the fish head on the eye looks the same size as the other one.

Attachments

• Black eye.jpg
    Black eye.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the pic!! Its perfectly normal. And its not ryukin. It looks like a calico fantail or a fantail/telescope cross due to its slightly protruding eyes. Let us know if you have any other concerns! :)

lol. Thanks! The store had it in a tank labeled ryukin. But I think those big chain stores hire who ever is looking for a job rather than people who know and love fish. I'm new into the aquarium scene so I'm always happy to get the correct info.

I named it Bruiser by the way, because it has a black eye. lol

Back
Top Bottom