Black ghost knife and Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have a 225gallon tank with a foot long ghost knife, few german blue rams, African butterfly fish and a few plecos (L181, 397, l333). I've always wanted to keep discus but the ghost knife is quite boisterous do you think in a tank this size a few discus would be ok? also is it that bad to keep discus and plecos together??

yes they should be fine together.

I keep my ghost knife with angelfish. Angelfish are slow-moving, peaceful, graceful fish (similar to the discus). And neither bother each other.

I have kept ghost knife for over 5 years. I've had them with angelfish, white clouds, corydoras, pearl gourami. And NEVER once has the ghost knife attacked other fish.
They are actually very peaceful given its predatory appearance.

Boisterous? I've never heard of a boisterous black ghost knife, all the ones I see are hiding in PVC or plants. IMO I think it would be fine, but it depends on the individual fish.

Boisterous? I've never heard of a boisterous black ghost knife, all the ones I see are hiding in PVC or plants. IMO I think it would be fine, but it depends on the individual fish.

I know most are shy but mine flies around uprooting every plant and snapping at everyone, every second day i have to replant about 5 or so plants, he was good when young but now hes a bit much, a ram went missing a while ago and i'm quite sure it was him. I think i might give the discus a miss..... or try angel fish

What about plecos and discus, I've heard alot of people say the plecos will suck on the discus at night and take off the discus's protective slime coat. I've seen a bristlenose on the side of a discus once at a shop and the discus wasnt doing anything about it.

Edit: Also I've seen the BGK rip java moss off wood and then spit it out, also i once decided to try 7 neons that a friend was gettin rid of because he thinks they were nipping, they all were eaten in about 8 hrs....

CharlieB said:
I know most are shy but mine flies around uprooting every plant and snapping at everyone, every second day i have to replant about 5 or so plants, he was good when young but now hes a bit much, a ram went missing a while ago and i'm quite sure it was him. I think i might give the discus a miss..... or try angel fish

What about plecos and discus, I've heard alot of people say the plecos will suck on the discus at night and take off the discus's protective slime coat. I've seen a bristlenose on the side of a discus once at a shop and the discus wasnt doing anything about it.

Edit: Also I've seen the BGK rip java moss off wood and then spit it out, also i once decided to try 7 neons that a friend was gettin rid of because he thinks they were nipping, they all were eaten in about 8 hrs....

Yes beware of black ghost knives and small fishes, BGKs are naturally hunters and eat small fish if you're not careful.

I have never heard of bristlenoses sucking on discus. Personally at my LFS the bristlenoses are staying at the bottom behind a rock or something and they shy discus are hiding behind the filter...

Try angels first. They are just like discus, and the cost of getting five or six young ones is roughly the cost of a juvenile discus.

Back
Top Bottom