Black Kuhli Loach and Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckwheat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today i bought 4 ghost shrimp, 1 blueberry shrimp as an addition to my 10 gallon aquarium. I brought them home and then i began to wonder if my black kuhli loach would eat the ghost shrimp? Does anyone know if the loach will eat the shrimp or will they live? The kuhli loach is very small maybe 1.5-2 in long i dont know how big they get when fully grown? If this is not a problem now could it be a problem in the future when the loach is bigger?

Hello

It is possible for your Black Kuhli Loach to eat your ghost shrimp. You see, shrimp, snails, and crustaceans are a Black Kuhli Loach favorite foods. However, Black Kuhli Loach do not eat fish that swim above it because Loachs can't swim up to that point in any habitat. I'd say put the Loachs or the shrimp, snails, and crustaceans in a different aquarium. Your Loachs will get up to the size of 4 inches. Yes, the problem will likely get worse when the Loach's grow up to be bigger. If you are talking about where the Loach will live, then it will swim around all through the day and usually sleep at the bottom. If you are talking about where the ghost shrimp will live, then they will walk and swim around on the ground and once they are ready to sleep they will usually take shelter under something or dig into the gravel in your tank if you have any in the aquarium.

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck ;):):lol:

Imo a single kuhli loach doesn't pose much of a threat. If you had a "pack" of them then yes.
My kuhlis have attacked and killed apple snails,ghost shrimp and small crayfish.
They grow to around 3" and do better in small groups of 5 or better. Goodluck. They're awsome little creatures.

Back
Top Bottom