Black Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zacharyws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a hit or miss question... but while having the black light on in my room i just noticed that my painted glass fish is UV reactive. Is it safe to remove the light from my hood and put my black light on top? there is glass between the light and the water so im not woried about that... will the uv light harm my fish?

will it interupt my "dark cycle" for my plants?

until i get a straight answer im going to keep it off just to be safe

If you have painted glass fish then you should probably keep it to yourself.

Keeping painted glass fish supports animal cruelty and is reprehensible. I'm not trying to be offensive because you probably don't know that these fish are physically injected with dye - a very painful process that leaves them weak and highly susceptible to disease. As far as black light goes, it would be the last of their problems! But I don't think it effects fish at all.

As for your plants apparently plants need a good rest period and shouldn't have any light during this time. However it's possible that the frequency of black light wouldn't even be detected by the plants, but I don't really know. If you just want it for a short while at night you could just do a 1 or 2 hour period which probably wouldn't hurt at all.

Geez, I'm all about caring for one's pets but when you go out like that on someone for owning a specific fish that's just bad form.

Bad form, indeed.

Even if they have been injected with a dye these fish are far better off than they are in their natural environs.

Are you vegan? Do you have any fish that require feeders or another type of carnivorous diet?

Ask yourself who supports animal cruelty.

I eat meat, have carnivorous fish, love to catch a few out in a boat, and generally realize that animals were placed on this Earth to serve human beings.

Does that mean I love my fish any less? No. Does that mean I'm cruel and heartless? Not in my eyes.

Bad form, really.

(Sorry, this post isn't all about this one single post, it's a general response to the overwhelming trends in alot of posts I read. I wouldn't have an issue with the above post as it's got a valid point and is informative were it not for these lines:
If you have painted glass fish then you should probably keep it to yourself.

Keeping painted glass fish supports animal cruelty and is reprehensible.
)

Lets try to keep this post on topic.

Honestly, I am not sure if the black light would cause any harm to the fish. I use a LCD moon light on our 150 so we can see the Pleco at night in it's natural state. It has not caused a negative effect on the fish.

GGIII said:
Geez, I'm all about caring for one's pets but when you go out like that on someone for owning a specific fish that's just bad form.

Bad form, indeed.

Won't quote the rest of this post, I'm sure you all read it.

My comments on injecting fish with dye in no way relate to my opinion on eating meat, keep carnivourous fish or whatever else I am apprently opposed to.

"Painting" fish is a real problem that everyone who likes fish should be up in arms about. The main problem with painted glass fish is that unless you know the about the process these fish are put through you won't be told by the guy selling them to you. This is why I let Zacharyws know about it and went on to explain what I know about Black lights and plants (Admittedly very little).

GGIII in future if you want to rant about what I post tell an administrator or PM me.

There is some proof that long-term exposure to black lights can encoutage cataract-growth in mammals (might wish to be concerned more about yourself), and I suppose it could do for fish as well....but it could also have some affect on the plants, although I am not sure just how much.

There is a painted glass hatchet at the petco. It's one that somebody brought back or whatever. I might go pick it up and put it in with my guppies and tetras. Give it a nice comfy place to live for the duration of it's significantly shorted life-span.

Speakerman said:
There is a painted glass hatchet at the petco. It's one that somebody brought back or whatever. I might go pick it up and put it in with my guppies and tetras. Give it a nice comfy place to live for the duration of it's significantly shorted life-span.

Very Noble.

It's so sad. I've never actually seen one at an LFS (MY LFS guy refuses to sell goldfish bowls, let alone Painted fish). Apparently there are companies now that can engrave a word or symbol on the side of a fish. ..... Disgusting.

Give the hatchet fish a bloodworm for me.

well thanks for the insight skilljug....

im just getting into this hobby and can only begin to see mistakes that i am making along the way.

IMO i see the issue with buying "painted fish" and eventualy teeder away from them as i learn a little bit more, but for now i'll stick with what i like as far as fish go...

with the painted glass fish i really bought it cause i like the "see through" look of it, not for its coloring. i'd actualy like to pick up another glass fish or two; can you get them without the coloring easily?

anyways... im going to stay away from the black light just to play it safe.

yeah really who cares if someone owns one, your never gonna stop suppliers from dying the fish, I'm aginast animal cruelty myself, but face the facts, your fighting a blind battle, and people will always be buying these types of fish

Zacharyws said:
well thanks for the insight skilljug....

im just getting into this hobby and can only begin to see mistakes that i am making along the way.

IMO i see the issue with buying "painted fish" and eventualy teeder away from them as i learn a little bit more, but for now i'll stick with what i like as far as fish go...

with the painted glass fish i really bought it cause i like the "see through" look of it, not for its coloring. i'd actualy like to pick up another glass fish or two; can you get them without the coloring easily?

anyways... im going to stay away from the black light just to play it safe.

Yes, the Petco here always has glass cats here. And they are not dyed. They are a pretty cool fish. Another common name for them is Ghostfish.

tropicfishman said:
yeah really who cares if someone owns one, your never gonna stop suppliers from dying the fish, I'm aginast animal cruelty myself, but face the facts, your fighting a blind battle, and people will always be buying these types of fish

possibly. and possibly as the word spreads, less and less stores will stock them. many lfs stock according to what sells. if more and more people acquire the knowledge and insight, change happens.

a lfs close stopped selling dyed fish because enough people stopped buying. is that because this site was so great and passed on the info? probably not, but it does make a difference.

There has already been one warning to keep this thread on-topic, which is....
"Blacklight...will the uv light harm my fish?

will it interupt my "dark cycle" for my plants?"

If we can't stay on topic, this thread will be locked.

I agree that if you aren't completely sure the light won't harm the fish then it is a good idea to not use it. Why bother taking chances.
Good choice IMO.

I feel like this on the light on the tank. If your just going to leave the light on for a few hrs. It should be fine as the plants will still have more then enought time in the night to do there night cycle. A plant only needs 3 to 4 hrs of complete darkness to do the photosevphses { I know the spellings not right on that LOL} Even with all the light out at night in a home setting they never get complete darknes.
There's not much difernts between the LED lights and black lights other then I beleve one puts out more UV lighten then the other. Don't quote me on that. LOL

I was told that the uv from blacklights bothers fish and that the moonlights sold for fish are the only ones you should use. I have no experience with this/just what I was told

Back
Top Bottom