Black Molly agression, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLohr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new to fish in general...before all I had was a Betta...so Im a little confused.

I have three mollies, 2 females and one male (silver*male*, black, and dalmation) two glass fish, and a male platy. I was told that it should be ok, but I don't tend to trust pet stores too much.

Anyway, the problem is- is that my female black molly is being terribly aggressive to my dalmation molly in particular but also to my silver male molly on occasion(only when eating with the male). I was just wondering if maybe my tank is over-crowded or perhaps if my black molly is just jealous. If that is the case how can I fix it? My tank is only 10 gallons since I just started about a month ago. Thanks for any advice!

Normal fix would be to get a couple more females, but you are pretty full already. Are there hiding places available?

I've got three areas to hide in, only one is a plant the others are a sunkin barrel and a bridge with a hole in one side thats a cave. I was going to get another plant ones the store got some new ones in this friday

this same exact thing just started happening in my tank, i'm also looking for answers.

it seems almost as if the black molly never stops harassing the Dalmatian molly!

same problem here except its my dalmation molly ONLY when feeding time goes after my pearl gourami, mostly her but also the swordtails Females and the platy again female....would love answer to I have a 29 gal right now but will be getting a 55 in about a week do you think it will stop in a bigger tank?

I'm getting the picture that black mollys are pretty aggressive in general. I've got a pair in my community tank, and they are the GREEDIEST, most invasive fish in the tank, despite having lots of fish bigger than them in the tank. Its a miracle there is any food left for the other fish.

WELCOME TO AA SLohr :n00b:
Some fish are just aggressive--they don't fit with their species description of being docile. She could be setting herself up for breeding and knocking down the less dominant females. I like Lager's advise about line of sight. In a 10 gal there's not many places to hide!

put a danio in there to show her who is boss...I ended up getting rid of my danio. battered his friend until he died and was hammering on my school of 7 glowlights and 6 neons. meh I would just get rid of the fish if it is hurting the others.

Back
Top Bottom