Black Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaz90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to this, iv always want to try abd breed my black mollys. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this black molly is pregnant or not? I would much appreciate if you could help. Sorry some of the picture are not very good.
Plus iv put her in a breeding net because I noticed she was getting stressed out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_204205.jpg
    IMG_20200910_204205.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200910_203906.jpg
    IMG_20200910_203906.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 21
She looks buldge-y in the abdomen so it is very likely she will give birth soon.

What are your tank parameters, having perfect water quality is a #1 priority for healthy mom and birthing situation.

???
Ammonia -
Nitrite -
Nitrate -
pH
TDS
alkalinity KH/ Calcium -
General hardness / GH

Make sure to put a pre-filter sponge or wrap bulk filter pad around the intake and consider what you will feed the new babies.

Water quality its good. Water tests are all good.
Any advice on how to breed if she doesn't?

Having one male with a few females, they will always be cycling through pregnancies. If the female has been in a tank with males I have read, they will continue through a few cycles of babies even if there is no male.

The issue with even a 1:1 M / F ratio is a problem because the males just chase the females all day long, and can stress them out. In having several females per male fish, each female ends up in being chased much less the time since the chasing is spread over ~3 fish.

Add some extra plants in the tank to create hiding spaces. I would add a stem or 2 of live plants to float in the breeder box too and in the tank to create a cozy place for the F and a sense of seclusion. Also a place for the babies to hide. Plastic silk plants will work too but the actual live plants can have some biofilm. You might find some inexpensive plants from a local hobbyist.

Aww that great information thank you i will let you know how I get on. X

Back
Top Bottom