Black Molly's everywhere! Advice requested on how to deal with the babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockinMolly87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Morning All,

I've recently invested in the aquarium I've always wanted. 47 gallon, freshwater, heated 78 degrees, lots of plants, color gravel, various cool old ships on the bottom so the little ones have things to do and hide in, etc. Been up and cycling for 1 week. I've been using test strips and everything is right on the money so far.

Anyways, right now I have 5 Molly's, 2 black, 2 Creamciscle, and 1 Dalmation.

The black Molly's have decided they wanted to start a gigantic family, and I now have 10 little baby Molly's swimming around and hiding among the plants. We just noticed them 2 days ago and they are already venturing out from the safety of plants and so far the other fish aren't bothering them. yes I am aware they are breeders so I figured this could happen, just didn't expect it to happen so soon but that's ok.

Question is, since Petco and Petsmart don't take them as donations or anything, do I see if nature will take it's course and the other Molly's will just end up eating some of them or do I get them out and try to find another place to put them for now and then what do I do with em later?

Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated. (y)

I guess my first concern is that you didn't cycle your tank before adding fish. Make sure you monitor water parameters closely.
I don't know of anyway to keep mollies from breeding, short of getting only 1 sex. Any LFS employee can show you the difference, and possibly 1 or 2 employees at Petsmart or Petco.
I've never noticed my mollies eating fry, but plenty of fish will. You could add some compatible fish and then let nature take its course. I'm happy when mine breed. After fry get about 3/4" long, I give them to my oscars as treats.

Give them away? Friends, family, neighbors, school kids. Sell them on craigslist for a buck. Look for a mom and pop pet store that might take them.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom