Black Moor Fry Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4yannie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, newbie here!
Two weeks ago my Black Moor laid eggs and I had no idea what to do, I went out and bought a small plastic tank and scooped out roughly 40 fry. I scoped the internet and from what I read, I feed them on Liquifry, Tetra Mini Baby powdered food and bloodworm juice. I'm gutted because now only 4 are left.

My Black Moors have just done it again! - and this time I have scooped out
A lot of fry eggs out which hatched and are in a small tank with the two week old fry. I have at least 100 this time! I have very little idea what to do apart from what I have been doing, I want so badly for them to live, I don't know how to go about doing water changes with this amount of fry, which I've got in a children's size plastic tank.
I would really like some guidance, and what is crucial.
I am feeding them Liquifry and the Tetra Mini Baby powdered food, changing the water every other day by way of emptying a lot of water out with a glass and putting clean water in the same way.
I leave the water untreated as the treated water seemed to kill the fry.
(I learned that the hard way)
When my boyfriend bought me some beautiful fancy goldfish, I never even thought there would be babies....and i'd be playing mum....I really want to do everything I can to get better success out of this batch!

I also want to try and understand what to do with egg yolk, a lot of people reccomend it, but does it have to be cooked a certain way?
I have only been a fish owner for about six months, and I know very little about fish,
I have googled it, but so many people have such varied methods of raising fry!

Thanks in advance!

Raising Goldfish fry

Hello all, newbie here!
Two weeks ago my Black Moor laid eggs and I had no idea what to do, I went out and bought a small plastic tank and scooped out roughly 40 fry. I scoped the internet and from what I read, I feed them on Liquifry, Tetra Mini Baby powdered food and bloodworm juice. I'm gutted because now only 4 are left.

My Black Moors have just done it again! - and this time I have scooped out
A lot of fry eggs out which hatched and are in a small tank with the two week old fry. I have at least 100 this time! I have very little idea what to do apart from what I have been doing, I want so badly for them to live, I don't know how to go about doing water changes with this amount of fry, which I've got in a children's size plastic tank.
I would really like some guidance, and what is crucial.
I am feeding them Liquifry and the Tetra Mini Baby powdered food, changing the water every other day by way of emptying a lot of water out with a glass and putting clean water in the same way.
I leave the water untreated as the treated water seemed to kill the fry.
(I learned that the hard way)
When my boyfriend bought me some beautiful fancy goldfish, I never even thought there would be babies....and i'd be playing mum....I really want to do everything I can to get better success out of this batch!

I also want to try and understand what to do with egg yolk, a lot of people reccomend it, but does it have to be cooked a certain way?
I have only been a fish owner for about six months, and I know very little about fish,
I have googled it, but so many people have such varied methods of raising fry!

Thanks in advance!

First, Congratulations on becoming a fish Mum :D(y)

What I've done in the past when raising goldfish is to create a culture of Infusoria. These are tiny almost microscopic "bugs" that the fry will eat as a first food. It's along the lines of the Liquifry that you are using. I usualy use either live plant material from the tank or lettuce that's a little past visually enticing to eat. You can find a nuumber of articles online on how to culture infusoria but basically: plant life+ water+sun+ time = green water and infusoria.
The most important thing is your fry tank. For the best results, you want to have a tank with a sponge filter as your only filter. (It prevents the fry from getting sucked up or in to any other type of filter.) This filter will hold the beneficial bacterias to keep the water stable. For that small amount of fry ( yes, for goldfish 100 fry is a small amount :D) you can use a 10 gal tank for starters. This way, the fry will have easier access to the food and the water won't get "polluted" as fast. This is also a good size to use so that you can siphon out the uneaten food that may be sitting on the bottom of the tank (and there will always be uneaten food at the bottom of the tank if you do this right ;)) to help keep the water fresh. I've also recently found some carbon filled filter cartridges that fit the pipe of my sponge filters so the carbon will also help keep the water fresh.
Once the fry are large enough to eat the powdered food, you can stop feeding the infusoria. You might also want to start hatching Brine shrimp as the fish get bigger. This live food will give them a growth boost as well. You might also want to consider putting in some live plants with the fry now as they will also have some infusoria on them as well. The fry will be able to get their vegetable matter from the plants as well.

As for the egg method, you just need to hard boil the egg. Squeeze a little bit of the yolk through something like cheese cloth into some water so that the yolk pieces are suspended. (This too is very much like Liquifry.) I tend to stay away from this as it does get messy in tank. Having the live food, I've found, always help stimulate the fry to eat. It's more natural.
Once the fry start to have color, you can move them into a larger tank as a 10 gal is too small to grow out 100 moors. (But that's a good problem to have :D)

I hope this has helped...(y)

Awww fish mum haha! :p
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that for me!
I have a little sponge filter on the way (eBay bargain!). I've bought some baby brine and artemia mixture also.
I found a nifty way of sucking up the waste by using one of those droppers, works a charm!
Also I constantly wrap a towel around the tank, keeps the temp consistent and stops them being jumpy when I walk past.
I'm so grateful for all the info, I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Thanks again, it means a lot!
:)

Back
Top Bottom