Black Moor funny tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my Black Moor since early dec 2013.

When i brought him home i noticed he had a bend in one side of his back fin, i thought it was a birth defect. He seems happy and healthy in all other ways and is quite a character and although he seems to have to use an extra effort to swim around has seemed fine. I have him in a 45 gallon tank with an oranda. They have two filters and a bubble pump so plenty of movement and oxygen. Today after i came home from work i have noticed that the bent part of his tail has split from the rest of his back tail. He has no sign of ill health and his tail is not shredded at all and the Oranda's tail is lovely and long and flowy so there doesnt seem to be any sign of finrot. I have used Melafix in the past should i do it again. I change water weekly every 5-7 days. They eat a variety of foods flakes, premium pellets, live worms, dried shrimp, peas, asparagus, brocolli and mushrooms. Is there a reason his tail has split from the damaged curb clamped bit. I wondering if all along he has had an underlying issue where i thought it was a birth defect but i have use melafix before on a 7 day dose. Its werid all of a sudden its like the healthy part of the tail has split from the damaged part.

Can you possibly post a picture of what you are seeing? It would be helpful to figure out if this is something that needs to be addressed further. No need for meds yet but I would start by increasing your water changes to twice weekly. If you can post your parameters, that would be great as well! :)

Can you lease be more specific with parameters and etc. pics?

Here is a pic of Dave sorry for delay. He seems as happy as larry and ive never really had any probs with him. He shows no sign of ill health. He just has a bend in his back tail

Attachments

• 10277476_373517022789415_2609273870869129877_n.jpg
    10277476_373517022789415_2609273870869129877_n.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 231
BTW i did use a Meds for his tail, recommend by the aquatic design centre on great portland street. So top notch stuff. He's tail has now grown back together but he still has the bend. It looks like it did before it split.

Nothing to worry about!!! I have quite a few goldies with odd bends and ''kinks" in their tails and fins. He may have caught it on something or it may simply be a weaker area due to how the muscle structure lies over the bent section. As long as he is happy and active (and he looks fine, btw!), there is nothing to be concerned about! :)

MOOR Update My black moor dave is doing fine now his tail healed and his happy liveing with hoggle my calico fantail, his not an oranda as i was told by lfs(pets at home useless) :)

He's very cute :)

My goldfish Jasper has a funny tail, too. I rescued him in Dec 2013. He was very small and unhappy. Now he is enormous and active :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406813514.717651.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

aww he is cute. I seem to attract funny looking fish. I have a danio who only had one eye and just adopted another black moor who has a funny wonky mouth almost like a cleft lip. Its dead cute tho and makes him look really dumb lol ive called him Ludo cause he is like a gentle giant at 6inches long.

Back
Top Bottom