Black Moor Gold fish in my community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsquad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 20G tall with 6 White Skirt Tetras, 4 Guppies, and 2 Nerite snails. One of my kids just won a Black Moor at church tonight. Will this fish be ok in my tank? I did a bit of reading on the fish and I guess they are slow swimmers and can be out competed for food, and prefer cooler water? I do have a heater. Is this going to be an issue? Should I put it in a tank by itself? I have a small 2 gallon I could throw it in if needed.

It could very well be out competed for food, tetras are very fast. I'd also worry about the skirt tetras biting the moor's fins.
I'd get it its own tank.

Just moved him to the small 2 gallon tank I have for now. Will find something larger for him later. I woke up this morning and it looked like he may have already had some fin nipping. I have some fin rot meds, should I use that on him? This tank has no filter if that matters.

I don't think medication is necessary as long as you keep the water clean it will heal on it's own. If you have the room another 20g-30 gallon tank should be fine for just the one goldfish. There is some bacterial starter you can buy from a petstore to cycle the tank faster. Or you can use something with bacteria from your old tank to do the same job. That could be an old filter, gravel or decorations.

For now I just pulled water out of my 20g tank for the small one. I have no idea how you would keep the water “cycled” in a filter less tank though. Not sure when I will be able to get ahold of another tank.

Water doesn't hold any beneficial bacteria. I was talking about the new tank when you get it since 2 gallons is way too small to be effective for long. Especially if the 2 gallon doesn't have a filter.
Goldfish are very messy eaters and poop a lot so they need more space and very clean water.

Your Tank

Hello,

I have a 20G tall with 6 White Skirt Tetras, 4 Guppies, and 2 Nerite snails. One of my kids just won a Black Moor at church tonight. Will this fish be ok in my tank? I did a bit of reading on the fish and I guess they are slow swimmers and can be out competed for food, and prefer cooler water? I do have a heater. Is this going to be an issue? Should I put it in a tank by itself? I have a small 2 gallon I could throw it in if needed.

Hello T...

The Moor isn't a tropical fish, so it doesn't really belong in a heated tank with tropicals. But, you have it, so if you can reach a middle point as far as water temperature, say roughly 72 degrees, you may be able to keep all the fish healthy. Goldfish are big. Too big for a 20 gallon tank, long term. But, they're peaceful. Keep the water temp a bit lower and make sure the tropicals don't outswim the Moor and get its food. Keep the water clean by removing and replacing half or more of the tank water every few days, no excuses.

Good luck!

B

Back
Top Bottom