Black Moor Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marigold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm a beginner and I have a 75 gal tank. I want to start stocking with a pair of Black Moor, can you give me tips on how to identify their gender or sex.

Males of breeding age will have white tubercles - also called breeding stars - on their gill plates and along the front edge of their pectoral fins. They are very easy to see on black moors.

Goldfish can be difficult to sex even in ideal conditions. Most lfs only stock juvenile fish that have yet to reach sex maturity so looking for breeding tubercles in male fish will not possible. Venting a fish will also be difficult as few (if any) stores will allow you to pick up and visually inspect a fish. I would venture to guess that atleast 99% of any lfs have zero clue if their fish are male or female. Theres also a question of 'true' identity of male vs female in any commercial goldfish (vs private breeder) as hermaphrodism is more common due to hormone use. Ill post a link below with more info on sexing goldfish.

If you want to stock specific sexes, you will need to purchase from a private breeder that can sex the fish for you.

Sexing Goldfish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom