Black moor with orandas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

car_leen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120 g tank with three orandas. They're not full grown yet, probably 3" biggest is 4". Anyways, I was wondering if I could get a black moor. I've been a searching for a calico oranda but haven't had any luck. So I was thinking of just getting a black moor (I want a different color then gold & white lol). Will he get along fine with the orandas? Or is it recommended to just keep orandas with orandas & moors with moors?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had a Black Moor (Thomas More) with 2 orandas and 2 ryukins in my 125 gallon for a number of years. He seemed to grow slower than the ryukin but equal to the the orandas, It seems to work! Good luck!:)

Awesome! Thank you :) I'll be going to pet smart later to pick one up. I'll post pics later !

Hi there, my Black Moor, Colin, is right at home with my fantail, Dennis - so they can go with other types of goldfish, too.

I find Colin needs peas everyday - otherwise he gets swim bladder issues.

Good luck :)

Are you gonna get one? :)

I have been looking at getting a goldfish for my 20 gallon. It is all set up I just haven't decide on what to put in it! :) I am thinking about either a ranchu, oranda, or maybe a black moor and have been researching goldfish for a while trying to decide what I want to do. :)

Hi there, my Black Moor, Colin, is right at home with my fantail, Dennis - so they can go with other types of goldfish, too.

I find Colin needs peas everyday - otherwise he gets swim bladder issues.

Good luck :)

How do you do that? I was feeding my orandas peeled peas, but they didn't like it after a month.

I have been looking at getting a goldfish for my 20 gallon. It is all set up I just haven't decide on what to put in it! :) I am thinking about either a ranchu, oranda, or maybe a black moor and have been researching goldfish for a while trying to decide what I want to do. :)

Aw, I've been wanting a ranchu! They swim so cute without a dorsal fin it's almost like they're wiggling. But none of my lfs sells them :(

Photos of my babies :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404758384.032294.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404758401.850510.jpg

Aww so cute! Yeah, I hope I can find somewhere that sells ranchu goldfish. They are my favorite type of goldfish. If I can't find one, I would probably get an oranda or maybe black moor.

<3Calypso

Yeah, ranchu's are my favorite as well. They're just so cute!! But it looks like I'll only be able to get one if I order online. East coast ranchus has so many cuties!! I can't wait til my orandas wens grow. They look so adorable. Be sure to keep me updated on your goldfish search! :)

How do you do that? I was feeding my orandas peeled peas, but they didn't like it after a month.

Try Spectrum pellets for goldfish (you can find on Amazon). It worked well for me after someone suggested it to me when I had reoccurring issues. Red leaf lettuce also helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 120 g tank with three orandas. They're not full grown yet, probably 3" biggest is 4". Anyways, I was wondering if I could get a black moor. I've been a searching for a calico oranda but haven't had any luck. So I was thinking of just getting a black moor (I want a different color then gold & white lol). Will he get along fine with the orandas? Or is it recommended to just keep orandas with orandas & moors with moors?

Just keep in mind that any 'black' moor will most likely not stay black as it is not a stable color in goldfish. There are a few breeders that breed selectively for black but most moors will eventually wind up orange and/or white.

Try Spectrum pellets for goldfish (you can find on Amazon). It worked well for me after someone suggested it to me when I had reoccurring issues. Red leaf lettuce also helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you!! I will look into those

Just keep in mind that any 'black' moor will most likely not stay black as it is not a stable color in goldfish. There are a few breeders that breed selectively for black but most moors will eventually wind up orange and/or white.

Oh really?? I noticed some gold starting to show on it's belly. Will it turn all gold? Or will it still have some black?

Oh really?? I noticed some gold starting to show on it's belly. Will it turn all gold? Or will it still have some black?

Will eventually be entirely orange then may start to gradually fade to white. It's a gradual process that occurs over a few months to possibly a year or more to turn entirely orange.

You wont regret gettting a black moor they have soo much personality i love my black moor dave his sooo funny and dead cute. The best goldie in my opinion

Black moors are awesome. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle,Dum share a 55g with Emma, a really big ryukin and Ice, a white oranda. They are the party animals in that tank! I so enjoy watching them

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I love your pics of your fish. Hows the black moor doing? Also i really like the fact you dont have gravel on the floor of your tank. I'm thinking of change from gravel to larger marble stones. Are they easier to clean out?. My black moor got a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth why i feel id perfer to change case he does it again.

Back
Top Bottom