Black Moore Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I've decided that I want a black Moore. Would a 29 gallon be sufficient for a pair? I'm doing some research, so I'll come up with more questions to ask later. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I've seen a Moor whose body was the size of a baseball. I'd think a 29 would be pushing it for 2 adult Moors. I don't keep them myself, but that is JMO.

Yes , you could keep just 1 moor in a 29g but goldfish are very social creatures & do suffer from loneliness. Two moors in a 29g would be fine for quite awhile but you may eventually have to upgrade as they have the potential when well cared for to grow quite large (10+in). Just make sure you have heavy filtration on the 29g- minimum of ten times the tank size (ie 300gph filter), preferably higher because goldies are very messy. Please ask if you have any questions!

So, what would you say for a tank size for 2? I may have to give up on goldies if it's too large, because my mom is already getting annoyed with the other tanks I have/am planning...

Honestly, if you dont want to upgrade in the future, i would go with a 40g. Most lfs only sell juveniles & they will look impossibily small at first-dont worry, they grow quite quickly!! If you already have a 29g, they would be fine in this for atleast a yr or two (possibily longer). Hope this helps!

Well, I don't think I would be able to upgrade when they need it, so I'll probably just skip the black moores for now. Thanks for your help!

If you change your mind, please ask! Black moors are wonderful, comical fish to keep. If you wanted to do a fancy that doesnt get quite as big, pearlscales are a fancy to consider.

I really like the pearlscales. Could two of those be comfortable in a 29 gallon permanently? Any specific care pointers for them? I'm doing research on them, and have to see if I can get a pearlscale anywhere near me.

Yes, they should be fine. Same as before, make sure you have a filter that runs ten times the size of your tank (300gph min). Make sure you use either pool filter sand or large gravel as a substrate because goldfish are constantly on the hunt on the bottom for food (small gravel poses a choking risk). Nothing sharp or pointy in tank or anything they can get themselves stuck in/behind/under. I love real plants with my guys despite everyones opinions that goldies destroy plants (mine dont but they r well fed). Make sure you invest a quality, sinking goldfish food (hikari is my personal fav) for them as well. Any more questions, please dont hesitate to ask! Good luck!

Is it a good idea to soak the food too, before feeding, so that it won't expand inside the goldfish as it absorbs water? Is a 30% water change per week good for these little guys, or do they need more since they're so messy?

Soaking a sinking food isnt necessary (lose vitamins) but make sure you offer them plain, cooked veggies daily to keep their digestive tracks in order. Broccoli florets, spinach, deshelled mashed peas, & zucchini are some good ones. I would do a minimum of a 50% pwc a week, possibily two depending on your nitrate levels. I would consider doing a fishless cycle (if your tank is not already cycled) so you dont subject them to any amm/nitrite but thats up to you. :)

I was planning on doing a fishless cycle. I still need to get the tank, so it's in the planning stage. So, I'll get the sinking pellets and feed veggies. I was planning on the peas already.

Most of my questions will just be goldfish specific. I'm actually pretty knowledgable about cycling and tropical tanks for a teen. ;) So I probably won't have many more questions. Maybe a few more as I do my research.

Okay, turns out I'm getting a 55 gallon, and 3 black moors!!! Yay! (and I learned how to spell moor! Yay! No more spelling errors!)

So, after the tank is cycled, should I add one fish, wait a week, add the next, wait a week, and then add the last one? Should it just be the goldfish, or are there any snails that could go with them? Would an apple snail tolerate the lower temp? I've also been doing research on goldfish safe plants, and I think I'm gonna have hornwort and java fern, and the rest be soft fake plants. That sound good?

It will depend on the level of ammonia you cycle your tank at. In the 4-5ppm range, you should be able to stock with your moors at one time. This will probably be your best bet so they will all be new to the tank at the same time & they can figure out their little heirarchy of fish. If you get snails, i would get large ones as goldfish are known to snack on them. I believe snails are fairly tolerant of temps but i may be wrong here. My little hitchhikers seem to do fine! My goldies dont bother the plants (exception being anacharis & water lettuce) & anubias are another great super-easy care plant to try as well. Good luck with your new tank! :)

Last edited:
That is a monster fish... Wow!!
Okay, so I'll get it to where the bb is turning about 5 ppm of ammonia. I can also seed the tank from my other one.

Back
Top Bottom