Black Ocellaris Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if all black ocellaris clownfish that have orange faces turn black once matured? Or do they keep the orange face? I want a pair of blacks with orange faces but I'm not sure if all black ocellaris turn fully black and white.

The female of my black and white pair still has an orange face, they are both about a year old. I am sure she is nearly fully grown, the little male also still has an orange face but he is half the size!

From my understanding, the orange will all disappear as it ages, but the face is the last part to turn black.

Don't know how old mine is but I've had him for four years and he went from an orange face to now just having orange lips

From LiveAquaria:
"Please note: The tank bred clowns from England are younger in age, and will be a deep orange/brown in appearance. After a short period of time as the fish matures, they will darken with age to jet black coloration with an orange mouth. The tank bred clowns from Australia are more mature, and will ship in their jet black adult coloration. The misbarred clowns from England have incomplete white stripes."

I suppose that could be interpreted as the lips stay orange...My black and white still has an orange "muzzle", so I'm guessing he's not that old.

My pair of black and whites are 4 years old and the male still has orange around his mouth

If you feed a lot of mysis it will keep the orange but will also make the egg caseing tougher for the babies

Back
Top Bottom